81 GS650 Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650 Petcock

I have a couple petcock related questions. My 81 GS650 which I just picked up is leaking from there and I am not sure if the petcock is the right one. The fuel tap faces forward and makes for an awkward loop in the fuel line. Looking at the parts break down on Mr. Cycles site it looks like the tap should face backwards. Also when I search on eBay for one they seem to all face back. Does anyone know for certain? Also is there a petcock that does away with the vacuum operation and is just a typical on - off - reserve style? Thanks!

For certain??? yeah, fuel outlet should face rearward. head to this link for nice new made-in-japan petcock. Probably outlast the bike- personally, I favor the vacuum petcock, no need to remember to shutoff!
    You'll also need two "sealing washers" under screws- most hardware stores have them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GS450...K/360795122761?_
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The 81 tank mounted the petcock at the rear, the 82 and 83 mounted in the middle of the tank side. So if you have an 81 it makes sense to send the output forward.
      On some petcocks the outlet can be repositioned as needed.

Get a rebuild kit for it or buy a new one. They are a critical part of the fuel system and an important safety item as well. Leaks there can be dangerous and if it fails the engine will shut off, maybe when you can least afford it.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

On the '81 and early '82s (with the rearward mounted petcock) that I have seen, the petcock faced forward.

Interesting side note...I borrowed an 82 (I think) 650G tank for my '83 while my tank was being painted, and the '83 sidecovers completely blocked the petcock.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Apparently, it depends on model. My L tank has petcock mounted about 6 inches from rear of tank- so rear facing outlet has nice direct route to carb fuel rail.
          Last edited by tom203; 11-20-2013, 09:46 AM. Reason: clarity
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks folks, ordered the one that tom203 gave a link to and then ordered 2 new washers and bolts (just because). I am thinking someone added this one to the bike or this tank isn't original to my L model. Either way it will be right now.

Comment

Working...
            X