Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable jam nut-is this correct?

Hi,
    Is this the way it should be or all the way down?
    it's a new cable

Thanks
    Eran

If your throttle slack is ok then that's fine - though it is odd to see so much adjustment used on a new cable (I'm guessing it's a pattern one and they didn't quite get the lengths right).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Nope it's an OEM suzuki cable.
      i didn't adjust anything yet, just wanted to know if that how it should be as a starting point
      Eran

Comment

Have you connected it at the throttle tube? If not then slacken it right off (wind the male thread right in to the nuts).
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Mine's the same after fiddling trying to get rid of the slight throttle on at right full lock... I need to revisit and wind it all the way down as Hampshire Hog says.

The length of adjustment is right though...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

more or less what mine is like....and I even did the throttle tube mod,,,,something you might want to consider....

Comment

I forgot to mention i'm using a Yamaha R1 throttle tube if that makes any diffrence

Comment

I'm using the same tube Eran, although it's the Motion Pro after market one.

I'm finding at full lock with the cable adjusted properly it winds the throttle on just a tad, but I haven't had the patience to start adjusting it all over again.

I think next time I can be bothered I'm going to wind that adjuster all the way down so most of the thread is below the bracket, then see if I can get it to behave properly.

I thought it may have been the motorcross 'bars but after comparing with the stock 'bars the dimensions are so close that it shouldn't be an issue.

I've also re-visited the cable routing and it's definitely correct according to the factory diagram.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Where are the turn buckles up at the grip set ( if there are any there )? Lot of the slack can be taken up there as well. I set the turn buckles so theres about 3/8 inch from being all the way in toward the grip. Then adjust at the carbs and use the turn buckles for minute adjustment from that point....which is why they are there in the first place.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

...only other thing that'd make that nut "too high" even the appropriate slack is if the throttle plates themselves are open at idle... a "bench synch" during a carb cleanup would have these very nearly completely shut.
                    Turn the big knurled nut underneath the carbs to shut the butterfly throttle plates and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Where are the turn buckles up at the grip set ( if there are any there )? Lot of the slack can be taken up there as well. I set the turn buckles so theres about 3/8 inch from being all the way in toward the grip. Then adjust at the carbs and use the turn buckles for minute adjustment from that point....which is why they are there in the first place.
                      What's that?
                      I know the adjuster at the clutch lever but not at the throttle side?

Comment

Up at the throttle end you should have a metal (or plastic) right angled piece of tube that forms part of the cable. Chuck calls it a turn buckle which, although I've never heard that term before, seems quite apt.

This is also an adjuster.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

it's the part that screws inside the switch housing?
                          what exactly does it adjust?

Comment

That's the part. You can adjust its length (undo the lock nut and turn the longer section) and you effectively adjust the length of the outer cable. Usually used for simple fine tuning (no need to get at the adjuster at the carb end) and to take up slack as the cable stretches a little over time.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                            X