My carbs are not right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My carbs are not right

Hello GSResourse, I saw a forum with a guy named Joe I believe who can do magic with carbs. He says send them in! How do I contact him or have him contact me? I'm at kennybruffy@yahoo.com! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got a 82 gs850l and trying to make it road worthy. Anyone feel free to send messages. Thanks GSKEN

There is no magic, only magicians.
    The answer you seek is here:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't know about Joe, but chef1366 rebuilds carbs and he is so cal.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

It's not that hard to do them yourself, just a little scary at first. Follow the procedures found on the site Tkent02 gave you and you'll be done in no time.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The first time I did my carbs I used Kleenflo carb cleaner. Berrymans is not available in Canada. I had to go to an automotive supplier to get the Kleenflo. Stinky stuff and there are all kinds of precautions on the labels. Not something that you would want to use in the house. The following year I invested in a small ultrasonic cleaner and a gallon of carb cleaner that is put out by Sharptek. This is amazing stuff, latex based, you mix it 15% to 85% water. I bought a small ultrasonic cleaner. I had to dismantle the carbs and put them in for about an hour each. Removed all the jets and small parts and did them in a little nylon woven bag. The amount of crud that came out the second time was amazing. And I thought they were clean after the Kleenflo. Well worth the investment, and a gallon of Sharptek will last me a long long time. At first the whole thing was daunting, but if you carefully study the info on this site it becomes easy. Also doing it yourself will give you a deep and profound appreciation for the engineering and design that went into making these.

Comment

Phred is right on here - I have read a ton on this site on carbs and invested in an ultrasonic cleaner ... a very rewarding purchase and learning curve. I'd recommend you consider it - first time around I used an old set of carbs to play with and learn ... even they came up great! I used Simple Green HD (purple) - just a couple of ounces in a shoe box size ultrasonic cleaner ... amazing. Besides, you can do the wife's jewellery in it ... she'll love you for it. Here's a plan, buy her one for Christmas ... you can use it too of course!
            GS550T 1981
            GS850G 1983
            GS650G 1982
            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

There's a world of difference between those cheap little Chinese ultrasonic cleaners & the commercial quality one that I use. The Chinese ones work ok, but don't have the power to deliver complete cleaning results. I bought a 2.5 gallon ultrasonic cleaner that is made in America. There is no comparison.
              Also, the cleaning solution is of the utmost importance too. I start with a water based industrial cleaner that contains a surfactant. A surfactant gets between the metal & the dirt effectively separating the 2. Read the MSDS & do some research. I then add 3 more liquids to the blend.

A quality ultrasonic machine & solution used together & will give you amazing results, better than any other method on the market. Remember, you only get what you pay for.

Paul
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Nasty, could you post a link to the washer that you purchased please?

Comment

Working...
                X