Cleaning carbs today. Throw tips at me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning carbs today. Throw tips at me.

I'll be removing the carbs on my gs450t today.

I'm buying carb cleaner from the local auto store and a can of compressed air because I don't have an air compressor. I wish I did, though.

I'm going to take apart each part on the carbs and thoroughly clean it. I will bench sync it too if it needs it and measure the floats.

Any other words of wisdom or recommended items?

Cheers

Follow the guide like it is your religion, no shortcuts. Make sure you have the right tools and the right parts before you start. Clean work surface, organized area, take your time.

A towel on your workbench helps keep small bits from bouncing to the floor and rolling under furniture to be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
      Follow the guide like it is your religion, no shortcuts. Make sure you have the right tools and the right parts before you start. Clean work surface, organized area, take your time.

A towel on your workbench helps keep small bits from bouncing to the floor and rolling under furniture to be lost.
      Thank you. I get off work at 3pm so I will have the whole rest of the day to have a romantic and intimate date with my dirty dirty carbs. I'll treat her like a princess.

Comment

The carb cleaner you're buying... is it the type you can dunk the carb bodies in overnight like Berrimans or something? If there's old off fuel in there, spraying carb cleaner through the passages won't always clean it all out.

Also, have you got the O Ring kit from www.cycleorings.com? While you have them apart, replace the O rings...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You can do it

Organization and patience are virtues when doing carbs.

Once you think you have them really clean -- do them again and be certain.

Do not force anything -- broken and stripped parts are a great nuisance. Be gentle and firm when taking things apart.

If it gets frustrating -- take a walk.

Remember the geat resoource here for any questions...
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Yes, follow Nessism's guide (and warnings) and get ready for lots of little parts....
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              The carb cleaner you're buying... is it the type you can dunk the carb bodies in overnight like Berrimans or something? If there's old off fuel in there, spraying carb cleaner through the passages won't always clean it all out.

Also, have you got the O Ring kit from www.cycleorings.com? While you have them apart, replace the O rings...
              No O rings in my inventory today... I'll take a look see.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                The page is down. Maybe the DNS ran out? Got a numeric address for the page?

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Yes, follow Nessism's guide (and warnings) and get ready for lots of little parts....
                  I'm using Youtuber's MrMaxStorey's video as good reference too. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by M.Hayes.GS450TX View Post
                    I'm using Youtuber's MrMaxStorey's video as good reference too. Thanks
                    That vid is very basic and where a lot of guys go wrong. If your carbs are dirty you have to strip them right down as in the tutorial by Nessism - it's an easy job and Ed's tutorial only looks long because it takes you through every step.

The jets don't wear out so don't buy new ones - clean them. The rubbers do 'wear out' so like the guys above said replace them; they'll only last another 30 years though.....

If you don't do it 100% right you'll be pulling your hair out. Take your time; there are no short cuts and be absolutely meticulous.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

...also look at the GS450 carb rebuild tutorial as linked on Basscliff's website.

Get the O-rings including new O-rings for the intake boot pipes.

Oh, and check the Newbie Mistakes thread so you know what to watch out for...
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        ...also look at the GS450 carb rebuild tutorial as linked on Basscliff's website.

Get the O-rings including new O-rings for the intake boot pipes.

Oh, and check the Newbie Mistakes thread so you know what to watch out for...
                        Okay Got it

Comment

Okay got the tutorial on my Nook. So I'll have that by my side as my guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
                            The page is down. Maybe the DNS ran out? Got a numeric address for the page?
                            The site is limping along now. Somehow my address (IP? DNS?) got changed by someone who would need my password. Interesting, since I don't share it with anyone, and it's just too complex and weird for anyone to guess....

So I've been on the phone to my server provider (1&1) who also have no idea how this could happen. Thanks guys.

So, we'll have the fixed shortly. Excuse me while I pound about three dozen framing nails into a ballbat, so I can let off some steam in a wholesome fashion.

Anyway, CycleOrings.com should be operational by Thursday morning. Many of my pages are still missing....
                            Last edited by robertbarr; 12-04-2013, 09:22 PM.
                            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                            __________________________________________________ ______________________
                            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

http://www.cycleorings.com/ seems to be functional and fast loading, all pages there.. it's possible some people encountered errors since there was a "?" in the link posted..

I'll soon be doing my carbs as well, got the o-ring kit from above mentioned site (thanks!) and doing my work on top of a terry cloth towel on the work bench with a furniture blanket on the floor beneath me.. JUST in case of a bad case of 'dropsies', at least it should make it a lot easier to find the parts that popped out of my mittens.

I've not been able to find anything resembling 'carb dip', just carb cleaner spray cans. In lieu of dip, what else is recommended to ensure all the internals are cleaned out properly? It took me a lot of pulling and twisting to get these carbs off the bike, it's a job I only want to do the one time.. can't afford to pop blood vessels anymore..

For thems of us who have never done this before, it's exciting and scary at the same time.. Good tutorials at Cliffs site will certainly help!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X