Petcock reversed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock reversed??

The previous owner wrote in the owners manuel in the fuelcock section that the reserve setting and the prime setting are REVERSED.

Heres a pic:

The petcock handle should have an arrow on it. The arrow will point to which ever function you turn it to. Maybe the PO of your bike didn't know what he was doing. Basically he is reading the wrong end of the handle. The pictures are correct, ignore what he wrote.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2013, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Will the handle not turn at all if you took it off the bike? Cause i suddenly noticed it wont turn and i habe it removed

Comment

It won't turn because its probably frozen in place from sitting. Don't force it. You can try soaking it in some PB blaster and wiggle it back and forth. You can take it apart, try and rebuild it with a kit or simply order a new one. I usually just replace them when I rehab an old bike.

Comment

Take it apart and clean it out. If that doesn't work, get a new one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Your PO had it wrong... the handle forms an arrow with the head of the arrow pointing at the label... otherwise with his reasoning there would be no way of actually turning it on...

My fuel tap was frozen solid after sitting for several years while I tore my bike down, but even before then it was very stiff to turn from FUEL to RES (mine has no PRI)... turns out the metal disc inside had shattered and I now have a new tap.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Take it apart and clean it out. If that doesn't work, get a new one.

Yeah I stretched the spring to be more.. springy in the vacuum. I think that should do it. It's in great condition and I didn't damage the gasket too (well, I hope not, we'll see).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by M.Hayes.GS450TX View Post
                ....... I think that should do it. It's in great condition and I didn't damage the gasket too (well, I hope not, we'll see).
                Get a new petcock, cuz sooner or later you'll need one. The 30+ year old diaphragm is probably ready to fail, dumping fuel right down into crankcase. Don't wait for problems to find you. $50 is cheap insurance.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Get a new petcock, cuz sooner or later you'll need one. The 30+ year old diaphragm is probably ready to fail, dumping fuel right down into crankcase. Don't wait for problems to find you. $50 is cheap insurance.
                  You are certainly right. Ill try finding a suitable one.

Comment

Working...
                  X