Strange goop in petcock vacuum..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange goop in petcock vacuum..

I found this inside the petcock. Does anyone know what it is?

It looked like plastic until i poked it with a needle- turns out its a very mushy sludge like material.. Im not familiar obviously lol

Whoops! Wrong picture!

This is it

Comment

Hmmmm...no idea, though it doesn't look like it belongs there.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Is it the circular thing with 4 holes in it?

Comment

I think he means the black stuff on the thing with the 4 holes. Looks like a slug took a dump in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
            I think he means the black stuff on the thing with the 4 holes. Looks like a slug took a dump in there.
            It felt like crap too.. Is the center hole meant to be clear?

Comment

I tried to find a blowup of the petcock, but was not able to find one. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                I tried to find a blowup of the petcock, but was not able to find one. Sorry.
                Its okay no worries

Comment

That is a tiny bit of rubber that was attached to the rubber in the centre of the plastic disc.

The disk holds a rubber diaphragm beneath it and the tiny bit of detached rubber is part of that diaphragm.

The loose bit is a sort of nipple. The bit is drawn through the disc and locks in place.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    That is a tiny bit of rubber that was attached to the rubber in the centre of the plastic disc.

The disk holds a rubber diaphragm beneath it and the tiny bit of detached rubber is part of that diaphragm.

The loose bit is a sort of nipple. The bit is drawn through the disc and locks in place.
                    That makes good sense. Should i retire this part and buy another?

Comment

I Think the tiny valve just keeps dirt out of the inner workings of the larger internal diaphragm.

My petcock still works fine in spite of that part of mine barely hanging on.

Reassemble and see if it all works. I think it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        I Think the tiny valve just keeps dirt out of the inner workings of the larger internal diaphragm.

My petcock still works fine in spite of that part of mine barely hanging on.

Reassemble and see if it all works. I think it will be fine.
                        Okay I cleaned it up, we will see.

Thanks

Comment

I have seen rubber carburetor parts turn to black goo because of bad gas, or old gas, or whatever chemicals old bad gas turns into. Nasty black slimy stuff. These were the rubber plugs over the pilot jets in CV carbs. Turned completely into black slime.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            I have seen rubber carburetor parts turn to black goo because of bad gas, or old gas, or whatever chemicals old bad gas turns into. Nasty black slimy stuff. These were the rubber plugs over the pilot jets in CV carbs. Turned completely into black slime.
                            Wow that's not good- but manageable if i purchase all the o rings, correct?

Comment

Well in the case of the plugs you would need new ones.
                              Carb o-rings should always be replaced when refreshing an old set of carbs.

They are cheap from Robert Barr a fellow site member.

Comment

Working...
                              X