Exhaust stud choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust stud choice?

I'm looking at dropping my exhaust and replacing the gaskets. I've had popping on deceleration ever since I've owned it and it still persists even after a full carb rebuild and valve adjustment. I have 145-150psi compression on all cylinders so I don't think it's a burnt exhaust valve. I'm going to replace the existing cap screws on my V&H exhaust with studs. I found these on ebay and was wondering if these would work? They're M8x1.25x45.
    Ebay exhaust studs

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Not sure about length for use with the V&H, but 8mm x 1.25 is correct. Those are really expensive. NAPA sells a set of 8 for about $6 or $7, with nuts. They have a little hex head on one end, not the Allen head. There is also a set for a Subaru engine that fits perfectly, can't remember which model. A lot of European cars and Jap cars use a similar stud. If you have an indy BMW or Volvo shop nearby they may hook you up. Any metric fastener supply place should have them a lot cheaper too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As Tom said, they will likely work well as they are 304 ss. The length is probably right on, I have used 50mm before and even with double nutting,they are plenty long. The allen screw end is the cats meow, but that is pretty pricey, you might try McMaster-Carr online though they won't have the allen screw feature. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

McMaster Carr has a great selection you can also try Fastenal. I buy a lot of hardware from them and they have an extensive selection. If you go the Fastenal route its better to go in to a local store and talk to them. They have always been very helpful and no shipping costs. They have even held bolts for me for over a month until I could go and get them.

Comment

I offered the ebay deal a "Make Offer" price of $3.00 each for a stud and nut combo. I'll see what he says. I priced McMaster-Carr and Fastenal and found both of them to be higher in price for SS studs and nuts. I really didn't want plain mild steel and NAPA didn't list any in SS. If I can get a SS price from NAPA with nut that come in at less then $3.00 each I would go with them. I did find another seller that has 40mm long SS studs with brass nuts for turbos at around $30 for 8 as well.
          SS Studs with brass nuts

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
          X