Dan Marc electronic fuel shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Marc electronic fuel shut off

Last week I purchased a Dan Marc electronic fuel shut off for my GS 850. The previous owner had petcock problems so he rebuilt the petcock. It still had problems overflowing the carbs when he passed the bike on to me so I rebuilt it and ordered a new one. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong one and Z1 and some others did have the correct one in stock for some time(noticed yesterday they have them now). I should receive it any day and was wondering if anyone had used these as a fail safe and if you have any suggestions as to what circuit was used to power the shut off.

For the price of that valve, including all the extra plumbing and hassle to install it, I would just get the proper petcock.

If your carbs are overflowing, you have TWO problems happening at the same time:
    1. the petcock is not shutting off
    2. the float valves in the carbs are not stopping the flow

Replacing the petcock will help that part of the problem, but you still need to address the carbs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      For the price of that valve, including all the extra plumbing and hassle to install it, I would just get the proper petcock.

If your carbs are overflowing, you have TWO problems happening at the same time:
      1. the petcock is not shutting off
      2. the float valves in the carbs are not stopping the flow

Replacing the petcock will help that part of the problem, but you still need to address the carbs.

While it appears that mod (fuel shutoff valve) is a semi-popular discussion over on the Valkyrie forums - they have lots more electrical current available than we do.

Holding current (the power the coil draws once energized, and remains constant until shutoff) is shown as being 'less that 0.75 amps" @ 12vdc, or about 9 watts, but they don't list inrush current - the peak current draw that occurs when the solenoid is first energized. It would be of short duration, but could be many times higher than the holding current.

I sure wouldn't wire that coil in directly. At a minimum, needs to go through some kind of fused relay mod, so it pulls directly from the battery.

Comment

I agree with Steve but at the time I couldn't find the correct replacement. The Pingel was about $150.00 more that he electric shut off. Way to rich for my situation. If I could remember, I'd just use the in line shut off I have in there but there is always some emergency or something.(its tough getting old) It sat overnight and almost locked up on me.

If I put it on I was planning on doing a relay set up off the ignition and drive it with a fused link from the battery. I already have one that drives my super loud horns that saved my life!!

Comment

I did reset the floats so I am assuming the needle valve and seats are worn. Was hoping to wait a few months then completely rebuild the carbs instead of a partial.
          Another question Z1 and others have the needles but not the seats. Do you have to buy a whole kit to get the seats?

Comment

Well, a brand-new Suzuki petcock is $80.17.

You know it fits, you know it works.

You pay your money, you take your choice.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesp View Post
              I did reset the floats so I am assuming the needle valve and seats are worn. Was hoping to wait a few months then completely rebuild the carbs instead of a partial.
              Although it is much easier on your bike than on most others, if you are going to remove the carbs for a "partial" cleaning, you may as well do the whole thing. It's not that much more time/effort/cost, you may as well just do it ALL.

Originally posted by Jamesp View Post
              Another question Z1 and others have the needles but not the seats. Do you have to buy a whole kit to get the seats?
              Some may question the use of aftermarket parts, but for things like that, I go to Parts-n-More and get them for $8 a set ($32 total). While you are there, take a look around, you may find a bunch of other stuff, too. It's all aftermarket, but I have had no problems with anything I have purchased there.

Note two things about Parts-n-More, though:
              1. They used to have a $35 minimum order and a low flat-rate shipping charge. I did not see any minimum order mentioned just now, but did notice a variable-rate shipping charge that is based on size of order. It might balance out that way.
              2. They are in Canada, so allow a couple extra days to get stuff across the border. All of my orders have been received in the 7-10 day time frame.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

I don't know about the '80 850 but if you have the dreaded '80 petcock like the one on the GS1000, you need to know there is no positive stop on it and you have to remove the fuel line to insure that it shuts off from the prime to run position. The nylon screwdriver notch is supposed to shut it off in the horizontal position, but you have to tweak it with the fuel line off to insure it is actually off.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I will look at partsNmore. I quit using them in the past because the shipping cost more than the parts. Z1 has been my mainstay for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                    I don't know about the '80 850 but if you have the dreaded '80 petcock like the one on the GS1000, you need to know there is no positive stop on it and you have to remove the fuel line to insure that it shuts off from the prime to run position. The nylon screwdriver notch is supposed to shut it off in the horizontal position, but you have to tweak it with the fuel line off to insure it is actually off.
                    The '80 850 had a lever-style petcock as OE. I replaced mine with a new one right from Suzuki. Yeah, it's pricey, but it's FIXED.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                      I don't know about the '80 850 but if you have the dreaded '80 petcock like the one on the GS1000, ...
                      Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                      The '80 850 had a lever-style petcock as OE.
                      Just to add one more detail, the '80 850G had a lever-style petcock, but the '80 850GL had the "dreaded" leverless one.

This would also apply to the '80 1000G and GL models.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I know that it is tough to find money for bikes, especially at holiday time, but I found that it was worth putting pingels on a couple bikes, after rebuilding factory fuel valves a number of times. Obviously putting a new factory one on is fine; you know it will fit.

(It costs $150 for me to take the family out to dinner, once.)

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                          (It costs $150 for me to take the family out to dinner, once.)
                          I am very glad that I don't have to support YOUR family.

Last week, Mrs. Steve and I took out both sons and a future daughter-in-law, the bill was just barely $50.

Nobody went hungry, we even took the extra food home in a box.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Think we are looking at harder times ahead. Will most probably have to sell one of the bikes due to upcoming events. I already had the relay and thought it would at least make the 850 dependable. The cost was seemed to be the least but I should have asked you guys first.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions I really appreciate it!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X