Can this be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this be fixed?

My V & H exhaust sounds amazing but it's badly pitted as shown in the pic. Is there anyway to fill in those pits & sand the surface down again. Or is there enough "meat" to simply grind the imperfections smooth?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Anything you do is going to scuff the chrome. I guess you could get the collector ceramic coated at some time.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Tried polishing it? No need to sctratch anything.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have used some Nevr-dull on a very rusty luggage rack with good results. Lots of elbow grease but turned out very nice.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I can't see you polishing out pitted chrome. I would think you will only make the situation worse.

Comment

No, it works fine.

Comment

If you polish and still have pits rub over them with tin foil creating some friction as if using sandpaper . Tiny little pieces of the foil will bond into the pits . Not a perfect solution but it does fill in the small pits and last a good while .

Comment

Repairing chrome.

Chrome plating cannot be "repaired",at best you can minimize the appearance of the damage. The actual pits are permanent, but the staining around them can be polished out,that accounts for the improved appearance. While i'm on the subject, the shiny silver that you see is Nickel,the Chromium is mostly see thru with a slightly blue tint (Nickel is slightly yellow).

Comment

Originally posted by Dj66 View Post
                  The actual pits are permanent, but the staining around them can be polished out,
                  This is how it works. The rust comes out of the pits and sits on the chrome, discoloring it. The polish removes this loose rust and discoloration, easily. The pits are almost microscopic, without all the rust around them they can't really be noticed.

If you get up close to inspect it you can see the pits. From a few feet away it will look perfect. Of course some pits are bigger than others, and it will need to be redone once in a while, but those pipes in the picture will polish out to look pretty darned good.

Comment

That is correct.

Comment

Its not chrome, its nickel plating.
                      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Actually yours looks really good. Mine was so bad I had to sand blast it and paint it with black ceramic paint.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Just nickel would be turned blue grey by now. That is chrome dude.

Comment

Sorry Jeep,

I know what it is since I had it done & it's nickel plate.

Comment

Why would you post a question and not even mention this?

Paint it flat black.

Comment

Working...
                              X