VM 26 Carb Rebuild GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM 26 Carb Rebuild GS 1000

The last Suzuki carbs I rebuilt were the BS series from a GS 1000. That went well and was actually quite simple.

These VM carbs seem to have more parts and are a little more detailed. The BS tutorial was highly detailed, which was a huge help.

I am using the tutorial from this site, which is great, bit not as much detail as the BS tutorial.

I am sure I will have additional questions, but I will start with two:

1) Does the slide and needle assembly need to be disassembled or will a spray and wipe down do the job?

1a) Any holes to clear in the above mentioned needle?

2) The fuel T's do not have O-rings like the BS series.....can these T's and connectors be reused, or should new ones be used? If new ones are needed, does anyone know part numbers and a source?

Thanks!

The slides/needle assembly can be left alone. Just make sure there is no varnish on the outside of the slides and needles.

Every passage goes somewhere so make sure the spray is coming out somewhere. Choke tubes are prone to clogging, just like the CV carbs.

Assuming the coating is still soft and pliable you can reuse the fuel tubes. Some models of those carbs have O-ring style tubes, so finding a set of those is an option. Z1 sells aftermarket versions too (as do others).

Some day I'll go though a set of VM's and make a tutorial. Just haven't gotten around to finding a set yet. VM's are pretty easy to work on though so maybe it's not needed. You are plenty skilled enough to deal with them Rich. No worry and good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ed,
      I may have an extra set of VM carbs to let you do the rebuild on....I really like the CV one you made.
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Thanks Ed..............I'm on it! The fuel tube rubber does seem to be pliable, so I will reuse them.

The carb boots are actually in remarkable shape as well. However, as soon as Z1 is restocked, I will get a new set.

The main jets are 121.5's, I have new 95's from Z1, as I am going to start with the stock setup. I hope all the other parts are stock.

Inside of the carbs are very clean.

Comment

If the boots are soft I'd reuse them, after installing new O-rings of course.

Soaking the fuel tubes in gas causes the rubber to expand. Some people report leaks that clear up after a couple days. Maybe give them a couple days of soaking before doing the final carb assemble?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

After looking at the main jets again, they appear to be 127.5.

I can't quite make out the pilot jet numbers, which ends in a 5.

Comment

I sure do like removing the float bowls on VM's more than I like removing them on the BS's. Seems the pins on the VM's are not pressed in and slide out effortlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                I sure do like removing the float bowls on VM's more than I like removing them on the BS's. Seems the pins on the VM's are not pressed in and slide out effortlessly.
                Yes, I think the pressed in pins on the CVs was an EPA thing. I have always made my CV pins loose enough to slide in, they work just fine that way.

Either chuck them in a drill and file the shoulder down, or there is a common nail available in exactly the right diameter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Polish them with some 000 grade steel wool and see if you can get numbers..between all 4 you should be able to piece it together..theres only 3 numbers you need to find.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Tom..a few twist with the finger and some 320 sand paper loosens them up in the holes nicely too. Doesnt take but a few thousands and the slide right in easily.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What can I say, Chuck? I like power tools!

Comment

Well then maybe a number size drill bit and ream the post holes???

Comment

Then you would have to put the pin in the right way, as the two ends of th pin would still be be different diameters. Sounds way too hard.

Comment

Nah..drill it straight thru..the bowls recess will hold them in once its on. Same as the VMs do.

Comment

OK, Chuck. I'll stick with my drill.

Comment

Working...
                              X