Bad 31 mpg 79 gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad 31 mpg 79 gs1000

Seem to get only about 31 mpg, 79 gs1000. I've only had bike for a couple years and it has 32K on it.

Seams to run like a top.
    Would you take carbs off and clean them.
    It would be big hassle to take off Vetter faring.
    Could a great running bike need carbs syn?

It still gets close to
    0-100 km/h 4.8 seconds
    0-60 mph 4.6 seconds
    5+ tenths short or so, but it is getting pretty old

Might even run better (more efficient) withcarb clean/sync; one carb/cylinder could be not pulling its share- but maybe you ride aggressively.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes clean the carbs may help but riding style and the vetter fairing are going to affect the fuel mileage. Without fairing on my 80 1000G i can get between 40- 48 mpg depending how I decide to ride it. With the fairing I drop into the 30's
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I've heard/read a fairing gives better mileage because it helps reduce drag.

Comment

Thirty one MPG is not normal. I have pipes pods and a stage 3 jet kit and regularly get 44 MPG, high30's low 40's when I'm really flogging it. I have a S model fairing with a taller sport touring windshield. The pilot fuel circuit is most likely messed up and will definitely affect mileage. A carburetor rebuild and sync is most likely in order, however the Vetter fairing is a heavy beast.
          Last edited by OldVet66; 12-22-2013, 10:47 AM.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

There are litterally hundreds of factors that have an effect on mileage. Everything from tire pressure and brake drag, wheel bearings, chain wear, cam timing, vacuum leaks, carburetor synchronization, fairing or lack of fairing, exhaust leaks, back pressure, cam timing, ignition dwell, idle mixture, float height, and a lot more, everything has some effect. The list goes on and on. It is much easier to tune for power and throttle response than it is to fine tune for efficiency.

How many of these things have you adjusted perfectly?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have you kept up with the valve adjustments? If not, they may be burning and the resulting compression drop will also reduce mileage.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

valve adjustments?

Compression is equal across all 4.

I guess I need to take off Vetter faring to check everything--hard.
                I can also drive it then without and trunk to check.
                I don't have an extra head light though.

Comment

You say you have only had the bike a couple of years but you fail to mention what you have done to it. It can not be stressed strongly enough that you simply CAN NOT trust what a PO has done to it........
                  Get that thing checked for proper valve clearances before doing anything else. How can you possibly know what you have until this is checked?
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by stevehendo34 View Post
                    valve adjustments?

Compression is equal across all 4.

Equally crappy than?
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It would be big hassle to take off Vetter faring.
                      I guess I need to take off Vetter faring to check everything--hard.
                      I don't think anything would be that much different, but I have not needed to remove a fairing (Vetter or Pacifico) to do a valve adjustment on my 850G or my son's 1000G.
                      Yes, it's a little more awkward to reach around the back corners of the fairing, but you don't have to remove it.

valve adjustments?
                      You ask this like it's something NEW?

Yes, valve adjustments are scheduled for every 4,000 miles. Should be done when you get your 'new' bike, because you have NO idea when it was last done, then every 4,000 or so miles after that.

Could a great running bike need carbs syn?
                      YES. I have worked on bikes for several members over the last few years. Some of them insisted they "did not need any work", but after a carb clean, valve adjustment and a carb sync, they were really impressed with the improvement.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The valves on these bikes get tighter not looser with wear, so you should listen to the good advise you are getting and learn the basics before you trash your bike.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by twotimeGSr View Post
                          I've heard/read a fairing gives better mileage because it helps reduce drag.
                          Not a barn door fairing
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

"The valves on these bikes get tighter not looser with wear, so you should listen to the good advise you are getting and learn the basics before you trash your bike."

Ok but I did want to know if the gas millage was normal for Vetter fairing and trunk. I know how to check and change valve shims in a motorcycle if need be. It is pretty hard to do anything with that big thing on the front including removing gas tank. Valve train is also not noisy like I've herd on bikes in the past, but I agree from all that I must now check.

Comment

No your mileage sucks. No valve noise means they are too tight. To take the fairing off requires the removal of four bolts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X