FYI - useful info for plug chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI - useful info for plug chops

First off, in helping two friends on their second gen/DOHC CB750's with the worst/most archaic design of a CV carb ever (slo-jet/primary jet/secondary jet, huge aluminum piston instead of vacuum diaphragm), I just wanted to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH FELLOW GSR MEMBERS for your wealth of knowledge and professionalism in mechanical aspects of building/maintaining/modifying old motorcycles. I was referred to 2 other motorcycle forums for info on the later and less common DOHC version of the CB750's, and the most extensive info I found on swapping out the terrible stock Keihin CV's for the best candidate - early GSXR flatslides, was found on a several year long 14 page thread on one forum... Wow, "should I run the 150 main that came with the carb, or should I switch to the stock GSXR size that came with it, a 122.5 (or 112.5, etc)?" "runs great, good power, but runs real hot" - reading this stuff from one of the better sources of info on this swap for these bikes left me cringing that no one had even considered proper incremental jet size tests doing plug chops or AFR readings or ANYTHING methodical and more than a seat of the pants educated guess!!!!!
    Thank you again GSR for having your stuff together and holding such a wealth of knowledge and experience!

Alright, onto the topic... In trying to help educate all of the other readers of a DOHC CB750/900/1100 Mikuni GSXR carb retrofit thread on plug chops and jet sizing,

I found a REALLY REALLY USEFUL diagram and some more supporting info that spelled out something that the other 10+ tutorials and personal instructions hadn't - you are looking for a mere 2mm or so coloration ring on the WOT plug chops, less is obviously lean, more is rich, 2mm hershey bar brown is too rich, tan-brown is good. This diagram really was something I thought belonged on here for reference:

I also read on a Pontiac musclecar website (that failed to mention plug chops!) that you can read the jetting to some degree from the base ring of the spark plug, as shown in the above diagram as well. It said however that the jetting cannot be read from the insulator! Well, maybe that should have read "cannot be read from the insulator without cutting the threads off that shroud the insulator base."

Also, I read a CV carb tuning page on the FactoryPro website that had some useful info that I had never learned. It was geared more towards the newer carbs like the Mikuni BST GSXR style, and the float height actually is the last thing they adjust and is considered part of the idle or low speed adjustment tuning?!? I called BS on that at first, but then read more on gixxer.com about these carbs and that is to some extent true for the later CV's. I also realized from this that on CV's, rpm range is really critical more so than your throttle grip position, because the true throttle position is controlled by the engine's air velocity through the carb which can only be manipulated by your wrist movement. So it says for main jet tuning on CV's, you need to be at 8000+ rpm's. I think there is some merit to that, and my interpretation of that is - "for WOT mains plug chops, ride it up a big long hill like a drag racer and only shift at redline, and then kill it and do the chop" for any CV carb. Some people here would say to do a WOT chop starting at low speed at 2000 rpm at WOT and hit the kill switch at redline. I don't think that's long enough in the actual range we are testing for to give a good reading in my opinion.

Here are some very useful links that I thought I'd add to this post that I have been dropping elsewhere in a thread or two:

In depth article on how to read spark plugs - learn about how to read air / fuel mixture, timing and other tell-tale signs for optimum performance.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html (for newer cv's, but lacks the plug chop method)

I think any of you wanting to learn more about modded bike jetting and plug reading should find time to read through all of those. I learned a whole lot from those and other GSR members as well about carb tuning and plug reading in the past year. Before I was just too lazy and thought I could just take some advice on what worked for others who threw in some jets and said "yup, runs better now with pods than with the original jets!"
    Thanks again to everyone here, I definitely have a deep appreciation for how collectively knowledgeable this forum and it's members are.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 01-01-2014, 03:59 AM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Wow, the forum server really downsized that photo! Shoot, here is a link from it's original source in the proper size to be able to read it:
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

That diagram looks like it should be "required reading".
      But I can't read it !
      could you (please) post a bigger copy? I tried "save as.." but when I enlarged the copy, the writing just gets blurred more.
      Thanks !

Edit.. wow, that was fast !!!
      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
      1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
      Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Very good info, Chuck, but I have to respectrully disagree with one point:
        Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
        I also realized from this that on CV's, rpm range is really critical more so than your throttle grip position, because the true throttle position is controlled by the engine vacuum which can only be manipulated by your wrist movement.
        Engine vacuum has virtually nothing to do with the position of the slides (assuming that it what you meant by "true throttle position").

The vacuum that lifts the slides is caused by the air rushing through the venturis under the slide, which lowers the pressure there. That lower pressure is transmitted through the hole in the bottom of the slide, up to the chamber above the diaphragm, lifting the slides.

If it were engine vacuum that lifted the slides, they would be fully-open when you close the throttle and would drop closed when you go WOT.
        There would have to be a passage of some sort that links the manifold to the chamber above the diaphragm.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

In trying to educate that entire forum on basics of modified bike jet sizing
          You read one thread on the 1100F site and now you're trying to educate the entire forum?

The thread you referred to dealt with a small group of people retro-fitting BST's. There are many, many more members who prefer the stock CV's, or for modified bikes, prefer VM's, CR's or FCR's. There are numerous other threads on the stock CV's and the tuning and jetting of aftermarket carbs.

Perhaps you should do a bit more reading before you get on your high horse about some other site based on what you read in one thread .
          Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2014, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Sorry Pontiac guy, I assumed other people from the forum would have chimed in after a few ongoing years of that CB forum thread and said "whoooaaa...wait a second, no one has ever considered to share information on how to properly determine main jet size out of the 500 members who have read this thread???" I was shocked to say the least, and better to chime in now than never.
            I felt it very important to those involved currently and in the future with that thread to share a little of what I have learned here on GSR and elsewhere on things that they had not discussed whatsoever in the several years on that thread.
            Sorry to so blatantly state the obvious. The note above was clearly more of praise on the numerous comments I have heard about people thinking of GSR being one of the most helpful and knowledgeable online forums for motorcycles. I clearly stated that if you would read both threads. My apologies.

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
            . There are many, many more members who prefer CR's or FCR's. .
            I just assumed most of the members were like myself and my friends who don't have a fortune to drop on those carbs let alone the proper $800 kit to get the right CR's with all the correct jets and needles, as well as the adapters to mount to the CB boots. $160-180 for GSXR carbs, jets, and boot materials seems to be what the majority of the members were going for, but there was a lot of confusion left.

I've been researching extensively for myself and 2 of my not so mechanically inclined best friends who are trying to get DOHC CB750's back on the road for a good 6-8 years each, and have read every thread possible that pertains to the stock carbs and other carb retrofits. I am also trying to learn about retrofitting the GSX600F and GSXR Mikuni BST carbs in general, as I have two sets and I would like them to go on a GS550 673cc conversion engine and a spare GS750/850 engine that I have for a spare frame build up. I have done plenty of reading, not just that thread, trust me.
            Last edited by Chuck78; 01-01-2014, 04:04 AM.
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Very good info, Chuck, but I have to respectfully disagree with one point:
              Engine vacuum has virtually nothing to do with the position of the slides (assuming that it what you meant by "true throttle position").

The vacuum that lifts the slides is caused by the air rushing through the venturis under the slide, which lowers the pressure there. That lower pressure is transmitted through the hole in the bottom of the slide, up to the chamber above the diaphragm, lifting the slides.

aaaaahhhh... Steve I think you corrected me once before when I was working on a GS850 or some other bike... I understand enough about them to be able to work on them to a fair degree (CV slides), but the principle theory and operation of the slides I still am having trouble grasping the concept of! Help me out here a little more while I try and figure out this a little better. You say vacuum lifts the slides? I think that is the part of your correction that's confusing me. The spring pushes down on the slide, the air pressure under the slide is lower when air goes through it... ok. the air pressure above the slide gets relieved to a lower pressure level when air starts rushing under the slide as the throttle blades are opened, and the air spring effect is lessened, allowing the air rushing through the carb to push up on the slide now with more pressure than the spring that holds the slide down, and the faster velocity the air moves under the slide, the more it causes a negative pressure to be drawn out/through the hole in the slide, allowing the force of the spring to be more easily overcome against the airstream's velocity....

I'm pretty close there, right? I was failing to see the hole in the slide having it's proper role in the process. I have looked at that before numerous times and wondered how it pulls a vacuum against a decent sized hole like that! I see now. Thanks Steve.
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

aaaaahhhh... Steve I think you corrected me once before when I was working on a GS850 or some other bike... I understand enough about them to be able to work on them to a fair degree (CV slides), but the principle theory and operation of the slides I still am having trouble grasping the concept of! Help me out here a little more while I try and figure out this a little better. You say vacuum lifts the slides? I think that is the part of your correction that's confusing me. The spring pushes down on the slide, the air pressure under the slide is lower when air goes through it... ok. the air pressure above the slide gets relieved to a lower pressure level when air starts rushing under the slide as the throttle blades are opened, and the air spring effect is lessened, allowing the air rushing through the carb to push up on the slide now with more pressure than the spring that holds the slide down, and the faster velocity the air moves under the slide, the more it causes a negative pressure to be drawn out/through the hole in the slide, allowing the force of the spring to be more easily overcome against the airstream's velocity....

I'm pretty close there, right? I was failing to see the hole in the slide having it's proper role in the process. I have looked at that before numerous times and wondered how it pulls a vacuum against a decent sized hole like that! I see now. Thanks Steve.
                No, that's mostly all backwards.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If it were engine vacuum that lifted the slides,

Crap, strike 2! Alrighty then... another educated guess, adhering more strictly to what you said.... Engine vacuum is highest when the throttle blades are closed, as it is on the engine side of the closed blades. This is not coming into play to lift the slides... when the throttle blades are opened, the engine vacuum starts drawing air at good velocity through the carb. The hole in the slide basically gets the air pressure siphoned out of the diaphragm above, creating the vacuum that lifts the slide. Now this time I think I am finally getting it. Thanks for the patience! I have yet to have a rideabe bike of my own with CV's, although several are on the shelf waiting!
                  '79 GS425stock
                  PROJECTS:
                  '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

You might find this link entertaining- Keihins CV,but principal is same-one of pics shows the slide hole that Steve mentioned

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X