Best air pod filters for the price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best air pod filters for the price?

Im putting my 78 gs750 back together with the propper jets and quality parts. I was gonna order some k&n air pod filters but they are damn near $200 for 4.. Are their quality filters for less? Also does anyone know the size of airpods go on a 78 gs750? Its a vm carb. Or is there a way to measure? (Probably a stupid question).

APE makes good ones a lot cheaper. Just measure the outside diameter of the intake. Got a caliper?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      APE makes good ones a lot cheaper. Just measure the outside diameter of the intake. Got a caliper?
      Great! Thanks.. Gonna look em up. Caliper?

Comment

You can get close enough with a ruler or tape measure calibrated in millimeters.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

APEs

I just ordered the APEs for my '82 1100e online a few hours ago. It was $59 for four. I almost fell for the K&Ns for $160 - whew! A lot tougher to explain that to the Mrs.!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            I just ordered the APEs for my '82 1100e online a few hours ago. It was $59 for four. I almost fell for the K&Ns for $160 - whew! A lot tougher to explain that to the Mrs.!
            That is great!! I really didnt want to drop that much on filters.. What site did you order from?

Comment

Last edited by blowerbike; 01-14-2014, 02:40 AM.

Comment

you can get them here as well

Comment

$16.00 each.

Best price I've ever seen for an oilable filter.

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/gs750e/?filters[category]=carb#product-48-5002
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by ATNasty View Post
                    Im putting my 78 gs750 back together with the propper jets and quality parts. I was gonna order some k&n air pod filters but they are damn near $200 for 4.. Are their quality filters for less? Also does anyone know the size of airpods go on a 78 gs750? Its a vm carb. Or is there a way to measure? (Probably a stupid question).
                    I'll ask, since no one else has....

You said "proper jets" - Proper jets for stock airbox & filter, or proper jets for pods?

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                      I'll ask, since no one else has....

You said "proper jets" - Proper jets for stock airbox & filter, or proper jets for pods?
                      Proper jets for air pods and a 4 to 1 exhaust..

Comment

So I measured my where the filters would go on my vm carb.. and I got 1 5/8 inches.. I converted it and its 41mm and some change.. on these websites for the ape air pods they only go up to 40mm.. will those work?? the last thing I want to do is order the wrong size and get stuck with some pods I can't use..

Comment

Your bike takes 42mm filters. I have the same bike. I never bought Apes cause they don't have a size for ours listed on their site. Parts N More has them, though.

Comment

Check out MikesXS.net for air pods

He's got some that are similar to K&N but without any logos. I think the APE air pods are circular and not oval despite their pictures. I remember a thread here somewhere warning people about that.

Comment

Ape 005-121

$59.95 plus $12 shipping to NYC. They came in four days. It takes about 30 seconds to install each one (clamps were included).

NOTE: If the clamps (standard automotive hose type) are over tightened, the filters will, within a few minutes spontaneously fall off. Counter-intuitive.

On my bike (1100EZ) they look best with the clamp bolts positioned on the bottom of the filters. And they do look great!

I'll report more when I've ridden, and jetted the bike.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X