83 GS550L Carb Rebuild Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550L Carb Rebuild Kit

I just pulled the carbs off of my 83 550L and they have been sitting for 30 years with no winterization. Needless to say, everything is stuck. I have it soaking in WD-40 while I search for a rebuild kit (gaskets and o-rings) . They are dual, double-barrel mikuni's. Any good resources?

No rebuild kit exists outside of what you can buy as oem parts.
    Disassemble carbs remove diaphragms and get some rings from cycle orients.com.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      "Cycle orients.com"? Never heard of them.

Would be much better to send him to our friend Mr. Barr at cycleorings.com.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No rebuild kit exists outside of what you can buy as oem parts.
        Thanks, that's what I assumed after looking around. It just easier when there is a package. I think it's odd you point out to remove the diaphrams in particular. Is there something specific to them on these bikes I should know about?

Comment

Nothing specail they are just bigger.
          I made the assumption you would be dipping your carbs in something like Berryman's It would eat your rubber bits and these are still available but insanely expensive.

I got my internal o-rings from robert barr of cycle o-rings super good price and fast rurnaround. There are only rings for the needle valve seats, the fuel crossover pipe and maybe the drain plugs IIRC.

Buy the carb intake o-rings while your at it. The seal the joint twixt the head and the intake runner pipe doohickeys.

Comment

10-4. I plan on breaking them down completely before soaking them in a carb clean bucket. These things are bad. Hopefully I won't strip or bust anything just disassembling them.

Comment

AHHHH! My jets are stuck! They seem to be crumbling when I try and unscrew them

Comment

Originally posted by Bshipe View Post
                AHHHH! My jets are stuck! They seem to be crumbling when I try and unscrew them
                Small vise grips will help.

Comment

Small vise grips will help.
                  Unfortunately it's the pilot jets and they can't be reached with anything but a screwdriver

Comment

Ok I have a crazy fix
                    That same thing happened to me
                    mine was crumbling with no means of extraction but for a machinist.

I used the square pointy tip of a chainsaw file. I checked the depth of one of the holes I had removed a jet from then I checked the inner diameter of the jet.

I selected a file with the appropriate size ( they vary) then lightly tapped it into the jet hole. The square steel tip cuts into the brass very handily.
                    I then used a small vise grips to snap the offending piece out.

Not an elegant description
                    to narrow a tip will bottom out
                    too wide will not get much "purchase" inside the hole.

Comment

Working...
                    X