Carbs leaking fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs leaking fuel

Looks like I'm going to make use of my new DIY sonic cleaner.

Today I spent some time trying to found the source of a loss of power right off idle. I verified valve clearance again and checked plug condition. Everything checked out fine but #2 looked a little dark. I took her for a ride and she ran like crap after my first traffic light stop. Loss of power and a lot of popping through the exhaust. Seemed like every time I stopped it would get worse. I got home and checked my compression. Turned out to be good at about 145 across the board. I tried to start her back up and she wouldn't even catch. I looked down and found a puddle of gas on the floor. I also noticed that the fuel tank would steadily drip gas when the lever was in the normally ON position. After purging the cylinders with the plugs out she finally started back up. I sprayed a stream of water on each of the exhaust pipes and found that 1, 3 and 4 sizzled as soon as the stream hit the pipe. #2 produced some steam but didn't sizzle and the water ran down the pipe till it evaporated. Checked spark and all 4 cylinders had good spark.

Conclusion: I need a new petcock and #2's float is stuck or leaking.

Looks like I'm back to rebuilding the carbs.

Any suggestions on weather I should pick up new float needles and seats for all 4 or just #2?

Should I just replace the needles or do they have to be replaced as a set?

Anything else I should check?
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

I would just clean them real well and re set the floats you can bench test for seal on needles with a remote fuel tank, that is how I test them also you can adjust the floats more accurately with it if you make up a fitting to go in the bowls.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Might just be big leak down vac line into #2 - try a new petcock and go from there.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Gas was flowing out of the carbs and onto the floor with the with the petcock in the prime position, the vacuum line plugged at the carb and disconnected from the petcock. Engine was not running and wouldn't start afterwards. I'm pretty sure that confirms a leaking float valve on at least one carb. The petcock is going to be replace first because I know it's leaking a little in the ON position, but I'm preparing for the inevitable carb work as well.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I know that the "kits" are not popular on this forum, but I'm looking at the parts to replace my float valves from Suzuki Dealers and find that the needle and seat alone are around $30. I have a spare set of carbs that I'm rebuilding and need several components for them as well like all the rubber plugs, float bowl gaskets and a couple of pilot screws and springs/washers that are missing. If I reuse all the critical components (jets and such) and install new O-rings, will the kits provide me with usable float valves and the other components I'm missing of usable quality? I know the jets in those kits are junk, but I'm really looking for the float components and the few "non-critical" misc components that come in the kits as well. Could save me a good deal of $$$ if I can go that route.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Float needle and seat about 10$ at Parts n More.

1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

I just checked with partsnmore.com and the needle and seat assembly with float bowl gasket is $14 but not OEM Suzuki. Anyone have direct experience with these parts? Seems like the same parts that are in the aftermarket "kits". If they work then that would be a good option.

I ordered the petcock assembly and gasket today from an OEM Suzuki dealer. About $60 plus shipping but it's OEM.
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-17-2014, 01:03 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Does anyone have experience or opinions with with using these? I'm concerned with reusing the ones in there now since they were all cleaned and then started leaking soon after. The needles and seats are very likely the original 1982 float valve components. I think Chef replaced one set on the last rebuild since there was one in the bag of returned components along with the smaller stock jets.
                Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Pull the carb rack off - rig up someway to hold them in their normal bike position. use auxillary tank or funnel to feed fuel down fuel inlet line. maybe just one needle seat is leaking (bad o-ring, incorrect float height etc.) and you will spot it.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Pull the carb rack off - rig up someway to hold them in their normal bike position. use auxillary tank or funnel to feed fuel down fuel inlet line. maybe just one needle seat is leaking (bad o-ring, incorrect float height etc.) and you will spot it.
                    That's the plan. I don't think it's going to be a float height issue as the problem seems to come and go. Probably a combination of debris in the seat and a worn seat. Could even be a float hanging up on something. I did find a small amount of debris in the tank when I dumped it out, but for the most part the tank looks real clean. I'm just wanting to do this one time so I'm trying to be a little proactive and replace any possible offending pieces.

Really just wondering if the aftermarket float valve seats and needles are any good or should I just avoid them altogether.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X