clear (see through) vs black fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clear (see through) vs black fuel line

while i have my carbs apart i thought about replacing all fuel lines and breathers.

what do you guys think of that? do you prefer to stick with black or switch them out? is there a standard ID/OD size for my bike? (82 GS850G)

is an inline fuel filter necessary?

i'm just trying to think of everything i could do that would be easy with the carbs off.

Just purchase the standard fuel line from Suzuki and no, you don't need an inline fuel filter - the one attached to your petcock does just fine.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I got automotive fuel line at my local auto shop. Had a couple feet cut just so I have extra. I also run a very large paper element fuel filter in line. I don't recall the ID/OD measurements, but I want to say 3/8ths was too large ID maybe? Grab some hose clamps to secure both ends.

My experience with the clear line is that it stiffens up real fast, so if you have to take it off after anything longer than a week or so you're better off replacing it. The black line seems to stay more supple longer.

Personally I am a fan of inline fuel filters as mine have visibly caught a lot of dust/rust particles, but they have to have a high enough flow rate such that they don't restrict flow at wide open throttle. The petcock's filter will grab anything big enough to get stuck in your carb. I'll freely admit my filter is on there more to help me sleep at night than anything else.

Comment

I use Tygon fuel line.You can get it in the proper 7mm sizes,just make sure you get fuel rated line as they not fuel Tygon. Doesn't stiffen like the clear s**t does.Don't use an inline.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

You need the 7mm line. Don't mess with auto shop SAE sizes, they do not fit correctly.

Comment

I use Tygon line, you can get it in 7 mm, I also use an inline filter..

Comment

Nice thing about the OEM fuel line is it's stretchy and a nice slip fit over the nipples so you don't need clamps.

A filter can be useful if your tank is full of rust and crud, problem is you need to make sure the filter is capable of flowing at very low pressure and is not restricting flow. A good many automotive type filters are designed to have fuel pushed through them and are not appropriate for use with a gravity feed fuel system. It's also important to make sure you are not adding a loop into the flow stream, since fuel doesn't like to flow up hill.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

All good points.

I have not tried the fuel-rated Tygon. Never thought of it, wouldn't know where to start looking for it.

I use OEM hose from Suzuki. I believe in it so much that I install it on every set of carbs that I rebuild.

Whatever line you choose to use, 7mm ID is the proper stuff. Automotive fuel line is re-inforced for pressurized use with fuel injection systems, so is not nearly as flexible. It is also usually only available in 1/4" (6.25mm) or 5/16" (8mm) sizes. The 1/4" line won't stretch over the GS fittings, the 5/16" line REQUIRES clamps. I have heard that some European automakers use 7mm line, I have not verified.

If you insist on using an inline filter (no real need for one, usually), make sure it is designed for use with a gravity-fed system. A filter for a lawn tractor can work quite well.

For those who use clear line "because I can see the fuel flowing through it", after the bubbles pass, I can't see anything moving to tell whether it's flowing or not.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The only thing I would add is that I believe that clear tubing can be an advantage on the vacuum line going from the #2 carb to the fuel petcock. If the petcock diaphragm fails you can see fuel in that line and possibly catch it before you end with a tank of fuel in your oil. Other then that I don't see a need for anything transparent on the fuel side.
                  Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You are correct, Steve. I got some 7mm line from either a German or Italian aftermarket store.

Comment

Are we taking about part #75 in this diagram?
                      Shop online for OEM Carburetor parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

I want to make sure I order the correct hose.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I use OEM hose from Suzuki. I believe in it so much that I install it on every set of carbs that I rebuild.

Comment

Ya, that's the fuel line.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          All good points.

I have not tried the fuel-rated Tygon. Never thought of it, wouldn't know where to start looking for it.

I get my Tygon at the local power equipment store.I just take one of my extra petcocks with me and ask the guy there to match that.Slips on like new OEM would,or at least how I think it would as I've never used that.

Comment

I use transluscent fuel line from FastFlow Fuel Lines. If the 1/4" is hard to get on a nipple, I just warm it a little and it expands enough to slip right on. And, I use an inline fiilter, Napa filter #23001. I've used on JetSki's for years, works well on the bike too. Actually, I lied. Filter on my GS right now is a clear Verifilter that I bought for $5 at the local bike shop. I was out of the Napa filters.

Comment

Working...
                            X