Carbs leak into airbox when on side stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs leak into airbox when on side stand

Ok so here is a bit of a back story. i have done the carbs three times in the last two years. (full dip everything) got them running great tuned using a home made carbtune.(oil in long clear tubing mounted on a board worked great). ran it all summer but had issues whenever it was put on its side-stand. midsummer pulled the carbs and checked float heights (good-i thinking). still the same issue. i have pulled them off now. for testing over the LONG winter here.

1. set them up in a vise hooked up to a temp fuel hose started putting fuel in.
    2. once the bowls seemed full it still took some more gas and started to leak back out of #1. pulled the bowl found the float was sticking on the gasket.
    3. trimmed gasket. re-installed bowl. tested again no leak this time. sweet found my issue. it was sticking when on and angle as the float went to side slightly.

4.while testing with no leaks. i keep adding more fuel the clear tubing shows it has fuel being stopped by the floats and staying in the tubing. i walk away for awhile and come back to see the tube(fuel inlet) empty???? i add some more it hold in the tubing. come back and hour later (empty) again and again and again x8. keeps doing this but at the same time no leaks??????? adding 20ml each time.

where is this fuel going????? again they are on a vise just the carbs not on the bike so i can see everything. #4 looks to have a little fuel at the butterfly valve but that is it everything else is dry.. the last time i tried i sat and watched the fuel just gradually go into the carbs.. i even turn them to match the angle of the bike if it were on it's side stand (nothing) no leaking i have a sheet of wood under it so i would see any leaks if they happened???

any ideas?????

When you did your rebuild(s), did you replace the float valves?

Might be about time to eliminate the possibility that they might have given up.

Best place I have found for float valves (and seats) is Parts-n-More. Scroll down about half-way, you will see them.

Take a look around, you will likely find a BUNCH of other stuff you can use, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

what part are you referring to as the float valve???

Comment

float needle.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How would the needle get worn out as it is a metal piece. my big issue is where is the extra gas going to. i am getting no leaks with carbs in a vise and they just keep taking more and more gas. i have them empty right now to confirm the float heights on them.(when it gets a little warmer. (-30C is not fun to be out in the garage even if it's a little heated) I will also check the needles. the next major test will be to fill the bowls. drain one. take the bowl off and hold up the float then add fuel to see if it leaks into the bowl area. (doing for each carb)

Comment

are you sure the fuel isnt just evaporating?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Each float needle seat has an o-ring -part #50 in this link..they do wear out

But yes ,with your setup in vice,the fuel has to be going somewhere either on floor or evaporating but not at -30 C
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have seen my share of worn out needles. They get a ring in them where they sit in the seat. They will not seal with the ring.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I replaced all the O-rings last spring. everything worked great all summer but for two thing. Plugged fuel filter(gone now) and never being able to put it on it's side stand. when it was nothing would happen until i tried to fire it up and then the gas would come pouring out of the over flow and the airbox. also lots of misfiring as the cylinders would get to much gas and flood. I will look at the needles to see if they have and ridges out of the ordinary.

Comment

Ok so pulled the needles out this weekend they look to be in perfect condition no ridges or any imperfections at all. any more suggestions?

Comment

I don't know this model well, is there a vacuum petcock? if so is it working properly? might explain why fuel was coming out while on your side stand. As for where is the fuel going, well if it's not leaking out then your carbs then the only thing that is happening is that your carbs were not full yet, your carbs take a lot more than 160mls to completely fill up. I'm curious to know how you are measuring your float heights and what setting you have them at. The very best way is with the a clear tube, and you can make your own if you don't have the fancy adapter. Just throwing some ideas out there.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Replace the needle and seats as an assembly on all 4. Should cost about $45. Just did it myself on my GS850GL.
                        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-03-2014, 11:37 AM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Not sure if your floats are hollow .....

Have you checked that the floats all weight the same and do not have fuel in them from a small hole? that would explain where bench stand fuel is going and why a float(s) does not come up to full closure under normal use.

Comment

Hello there. I feel a bit better about my weather now.

We share bike models, mine is two years younger but I believe same setup motor/carb wise. I had same issue when I first got mine except my carbs leaked into crank case. As some else mentioned, bad valve(s). Note that the needle is only half the valve, the seat is the other half.

Only way floats could be getting stuck on the bowl gasket is if the float(s) plate (per carb there are two floats attached to a plate) is bent which can happen easily. On the BS32 Mikunis I believe you have the floats are not hollow. Obviously gas can't just vanish.

Liquids evaporate, how fast, how much, under what conditions, could not tell. Likely your carb bowls aren't as full as you think or they are leaking out, those are the only options, though I once knew a guy who would drink anything I suggest take a wholistic approach, take your time. Install new valves, i.e., needle and seats, make sure float plates are straight and true, adjust floats to spec, reassemble and use recommended clear tube attached to bowl drain ports to confirm fuel levels. Btw, from bad experince, carburator cleaner will srink and dry rubber, o-rings, plugs, etc.

That's what I did to solve my problem. Also someone else mentioned make sure the tank fuel valve is not in prime and not letting fuel out w engine off. I believe not an issue if the carb float valve seats are working but could certainly compound the problem if they aren't. Just disconnect the fuel hose from the tank see if fuel comes out.

I hope that helps. Good luck

Comment

vacuum petcock is working great no leaking

Floats are fine not sure if they are solid or not but they are all the same in weight.

float height were measured when being assembled.

i will look into checking float height using the clear tube.

I will also try and measure the amount of fuel going into the carbs when i add to see how much it takes and report back.

the stuck float i had originally was my own fault as i cut my own gasket and left it a little wide so it would catch the float. it has been trimmed since.

Comment

Working...
                              X