86 gs550 fuel petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 gs550 fuel petcock

Hey there, i know ive seen this question here,but can't it find it know .What are the positions prime run off etc can someone plz help me out
    THANKS!!

on a standard vacuum style petcock:

ON or RUN: vacuum from the running engine opens the valve to let fuel through, the fuel pickup tube for this is about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of the tank, and when you shut off the bike's engine, the valve closes automatically.

PRIme: this position bypasses the vacuum system and allows fuel to flow. Use this position if you completely run out of gas and need to refill your carburetor bowls.

REServe: this position works exactly like RUN/ON, except the fuel pickup tube is at the bottom of the tank. The difference between ON and REServe is usually about half a gallon or so enabling you to get to a gas station.

Comment

86 gs550 petcock fuel valve

Actually i already know the functions was just wondering which position is run which position is prime 'reserve etc im not even sure the valve works right

Comment

The arrow points to the front for reserve, rear for prime, and down for on
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I had the same question, but the arrow on my bike ('85 GS550E) is pointing UP!! Has my bike entered an alternate universe? (By the way, the knob on the petcock is plastic, not metal like the pictures of all of the petcocks that I have seen online.)

Comment

wort, if you enlarge this fiche, you can clearly see that the lever does appear to be plastic and, like all GS petcocks (without the large round knob and except for 1980), up is ON forward is RESERVE and back is PRIME.
            Note: BEFORE taking any advice from forum members, check out which ones screw up everything that they touch yet still offer advice to others.)
            Shop online for OEM Fuel Cock parts that fit your 1985 Suzuki GS550ES3, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
            Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2014, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Mine has the large round plastic handle. It rotates from up to back to down. It can't go forward.

Thanks again.

Comment

Could this be your model? (Zoom in on the cover for fuel petcock position settings.) http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...r-gs550es3-ese

Comment

That's it! My bike has been painted, so there are no markings like that.

You are a sleuth and a genius.

Comment

Working...
                  X