Restrict air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More tape

I gotta tell ya, I've seen stranger things on the New York City subways!

Gonna start her up in a bit, see how she runs. Three days in a row riding in January and February in NY, can't complain about that.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Took her around the block twice, second time with some choke. Better, goes (gently) to about 5,000 rpm without missing, a little higher with some choke on.

I'm sure she doesn't like spending the night away from home, but she's going to the tuner this week, I don't care if it hairlips the governor.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Last try

More electrical tape. I gotta try again - it's going to be 48 degrees in a few hours. That's a good riding day for a NYC February.

I was going to say I'll definitely get her jetted tomorrow, but to paraphrase Bob Weir, it looks like snow.
        Last edited by Rob S.; 05-08-2014, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Yes, I have taped over pods. When I bought my GS850 it didn't come with in air box and had been sitting for a couple years. Someone tried to get it running and installed pods prior to me owning it. I got the bike home, rebuilt the carbs and taped up about 3/4s of the pods. The bike also has no mufflers. It was running lean beyond lean. After taping the pods, it runs well. Obviously this isn't a fix, its simply a way to get it going to check for other things until you are ready to tear the bike down and fix it properly.

Comment

The boys and I taped up pods on a bike once when we first started messing with pods. As others have said, we basically taped about 3/4ths of the pods, an Emgo set, and the results were nearly perfect, surprisingly. We did it as a quick fix but my son rode that bike for a year and a half with no problems just because he never got around to changing in better pods. But as all things "questionable" around here... it's your call.
            sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
            1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
            1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
            1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
            1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
            1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
            1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
            1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

She runs!

Just got back from a 30 mile ride, and the bike is quicker than ever. (At least since I've owned her, which is only 4 months and 500 miles.) Red-lined it once, didn't skip a beat! The front wheel was off the ground a few times. My filters are maybe 90% covered!

Of course I'm going to get her jetted properly, but at least now we can go to the tuner on two wheels.

1982 1100e
              Last edited by Rob S.; 02-04-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X