Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 pipe cold

Hey guys.

I have a 1980 GS550. Right now the bike runs pretty well, the only problem is that the first cylinder is not getting hot while idling, and when I run it for a while, it doesn't feel as hot as the others.

What I've done so far:

I've rebuilt the bottom end to fix a transmission issue successfully, which was great. Thanks for all the help on that. That thread is here:

I had some starting issues which I resolved here:

To summarize, since acquiring the bike, I've:
    -Thoroughly stripped/dipped/cleaned carbs twice according to BikeCliff tutorials and replaced all o-rings.
    -Replaced spark plugs
    -Brand new, freshly charged battery.
    -New Intake O-rings
    -Checked for air-leaks
    -Checked float heights
    -Replaced exhaust gaskets
    -Checked valve clearances (I had some trouble with this because everything was covered in oil... my clearances seemed to be ok but I'm wondering if I forced in the gauge with too much pressure)

What else should I be checking?

Check for spark and compression on that cylinder. Check the plug wire from the coil. Re clean the #1 carburetor paying special attention to the pilot circuit.

Comment

And the choke feed passage in the float bowl.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Did you sync the carbs?

With the very small clearances on the valves, there is no way to "force" that very thin feeler in there.
        It will fold LONG before you can force it where it won't fit.

Even though you have "cleaned the carbs twice", don't rule out the possibility that something has gotten into the pilot passage of #1 carb.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Did you sync the carbs?

With the very small clearances on the valves, there is no way to "force" that very thin feeler in there.
          It will fold LONG before you can force it where it won't fit.

Even though you have "cleaned the carbs twice", don't rule out the possibility that something has gotten into the pilot passage of #1 carb.

Been there!

Comment

I bet the bike in question has sat a long time on the side stand?

Comment

What is your idea here ?

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I bet the bike in question has sat a long time on the side stand?
              Fuel trickling over to the #1 and turning to varnish ...?
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

It's always #1 or whichever one the vacuum line comes from.

Comment

Bike has not been on the side stand... It's always on center stand. My petcock vacuum line is attached to #2

I synched the carbs with a vacuum gauge.

I really cleaned the **** out of the carbs. Full dip in Berryman's for 24 hours (I did this twice on #1 carb just to make sure). sprayed and poked out every imaginable crevice with carb cleaner and compressed air.

If I've changed plugs, swapped the 1 and 4 plug wires and the problem persists... can I rule out electrical as the problem?
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by egetron View Post
                    Bike has not been on the side stand... It's always on center stand. My petcock vacuum line is attached to #2

I synched the carbs with a vacuum gauge.

I really cleaned the **** out of the carbs. Full dip in Berryman's for 24 hours (I did this twice on #1 carb just to make sure). sprayed and poked out every imaginable crevice with carb cleaner and compressed air.

If I've changed plugs, swapped the 1 and 4 plug wires and the problem persists... can I rule out electrical as the problem?
                    How did you synch the carburetors? One single vacuum gauge or a set of four?

Comment

Set of 4, Morgan Carbtune.

Comment

You cleared the choke fuel feed passage in the float bowl?

Comment

Cleaner and air may not be enough to clear the tiny passages the idle circuit works on. You may need to get one of those Motion Pro carb wire kits and actually push a wire through the pilot jet and it's passage.

Comment

Choke passage in the float bowl is clean clean clean... It got dipped with the rest of the carb and when I sprayed it with carb cleaner, the spray came out the other end in a clean, uninterrupted jet.

I can try re-cleaning the 1st carb over and over, but I'm not feeling confident that's going to solve this issue.

Comment

Make sure you get the tiny transition ports behind the first one the pilot jet goes into. There are one, two or maybe three transition ports right behind the first one. Also the air passage from the intake side of the carb to the pilot circuit?

There's really not much else.

Comment

Working...
                              X