Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850gz carb balance

Hi
    I have a Motad 4 into one exhaust system the bike has a standard air box is it better to set the carbs all the same on the Morgan carbtune or better to have the centre two cylinders set slightly lower as the Suzuki manual?
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

same

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
    Hi
    I have a Motad 4 into one exhaust system the bike has a standard air box is it better to set the carbs all the same on the Morgan carbtune or better to have the centre two cylinders set slightly lower as the Suzuki manual?
    Set them the same. The reason to set the inner cylinders lower with the stock exhaust is because of the exhaust scavenging that occurs with that setup.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Any bike that has a cross over in the exhaust system should have the two inner cylinders a bit lower, as was the case with your bike stock. If there's no crossover they should all be the same level. Nice exhaust system you have there. Post a picture of it when you get a chance.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks a lot for the replies much appreciated.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

DANG! that bike is mint. You guys sure get the better paint schemes. Beautiful bike.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            Set them the same. The reason to set the inner cylinders lower with the stock exhaust is because of the exhaust scavenging that occurs with that setup.
            Sorry for hijacking the topic a bit.

With a stock 4-into-2 exhaust, what's the adverse consequence of setting all 4 to the same vacuum level?

The GS550L shop manual recommends a difference of 1/2 of the diameter of the ball in a gauge that uses tubes w/ balls. What if you have dial gauges?

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
              Sorry for hijacking the topic a bit.

With a stock 4-into-2 exhaust, what's the adverse consequence of setting all 4 to the same vacuum level?

The GS550L shop manual recommends a difference of 1/2 of the diameter of the ball in a gauge that uses tubes w/ balls. What if you have dial gauges?
              Set them all the same. The difference of the half ball is nothing.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                Set them all the same. The difference of the half ball is nothing.
                Thanks. I think that's what we did.

Comment

Working...
                X