1982 GS850G Air Box Hoses & Clean Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850G Air Box Hoses & Clean Up

Took apart my airbox last weekend, gonna try to finish it up this weekend. It's a mess. New hoses on order, new K&N filter ready to pop in, new o-rings, and new hex fasteners. Going to clean it first with simple green and then with mild soap and water. I thought about painting the chrome-y side covers black as well. I'll also pick up some weatherstripping and seal it up well.

Any other suggestions after looking at these photos?

Some before shots:

I'm going to assume new hoses means new carb boots right?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yep, new boots.

Comment

Looks like the '82 boxes are still metal, so check the channel directly beneath the engine breather for rust. 30 odd years of condensation in this area causes the steel to rust, which eventually blocks the whole channel off. When this happens, the engine can't breath, causing lots of oil leaks at various points on the engine.

I cleared the channel on mine with 1.2 mm welding wire. Being a narrow opening, it is a painstaking process.
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
          Looks like the '82 boxes are still metal, so check the channel directly beneath the engine breather for rust. 30 odd years of condensation in this area causes the steel to rust, which eventually blocks the whole channel off. When this happens, the engine can't breath, causing lots of oil leaks at various points on the engine.

I cleared the channel on mine with 1.2 mm welding wire. Being a narrow opening, it is a painstaking process.
          i also have seen this and cleaned them out several times so far. The entire vent area may be packed solid with rust and other things allowing no crankcase breathing.Worth the effort to clean it out before any of that gets into your air filter too.

Comment

great advice. i had a ton of other projects going the past week and this got neglected.

i'll get on it this weekend!

Comment

forgive my ignorance, but what channel am i looking for?

Originally posted by 49er View Post

Comment

Forgive me as it has been a while since I have cleaned one of those out as I mis-spoke when I posted that info. It is MUCH WORSE! I just re-did one this past weekend when changing intake boots on one of my G's. It is the channel that your crankcase breather exits into. It is located above the air filter and the rust/debris just simply breaks free and goes UNFILTERED into the intake tract!

Comment

I believe they mean this one:

Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

got it!!! yes, mine is looking gross. thanks for the tip!

Comment

i've been such a lazy pants. i did manage to clean up everything with simple green and warm soapy water. bought some weather stripping to reseal everything. i do both end caps, and around the filter, right? time to head back to basscliff's site and read the steps again.

Comment

is this hose and cap supposed to be wide open? after cleaning some crud flushed out through the hose and now the hose is clear along with this cap. didn't know if there was supposed to be a foam part or something on this end.

Comment

anyone? *crickets*

Comment

I did a little research for this answer

According to the parts fiche I looked at that is a DRAIN HOSE.

I suspect (and it showed none) that there is no filter to clog a DRAIN from draining...

Clean it and put it back is what I would do...
                            Currently in the Stable :
                            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

great! thank you.

i guess i could have looked at the fiche myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X