rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuild

hi everyone,im a newby based in uk just bought a american import gs750 1978 which needs some tlc im hoping to turn it to cafe racer,i have rode british bikes since the 60s but old age dictates an electric start so the gs is now parked alongside my 1970 daytona and i have had to sell my 1969 triton so need a bike with a little grunt, so to the questions please bear with me if they seem daft,first the bike has an oil cooler fitted when changing oil and filter do i need to add extra oil to accommodate the volume of the cooler,2/ does anyone in the uk know of a reliable company to do a clean/rebuild on my carbs,thanks in advance,regards john.

Welcome.
    Yes, you'll have to add extra oil for the cooler, the volume will depend on the cooler capacity.

Most of us clean and rebuild our own carbs using Robert Barr's orings (he's a member here) and this carb tutorial. It's not as difficult as it looks. Take your time and stay organized.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

hi larry, thanks for the reply i had thought of doing the carbs myself but i worry about the steadyness of my hands and memory which has the capability of a gold fish at times i would have to strip them and build them the same day and they have probably been stood a long time so will be gunged up with dried fuel and i dont have a sonic cleaner but i will take a long look at the threads you have left,why i asked about the oil was i was worried that if i overfilled it would i get blow back through the oil vent,regards john.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhallr View Post
        does anyone in the uk know of a reliable company to do a clean/rebuild on my carbs,thanks in advance,regards john.
        Whereabouts in this wet isle are you John?
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X