Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

250 running on 1 cylinder

Hi Chaps

I have just got a GS250 Bobber which has sat for around a year. I got it running but the right side cylinder will on fire if i cover the air intake. It has spark and compression and i have cleaned the carbs but it still wont fire.
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jim

We need more info, have you cleaned the carbs "PROPERLY" ? Have you got an air box or pod filters of some sort on it? Was it originally jetted when it was cut up,? What exhaust system is on it if any? Last but not least have you tried the search function here on the site? It will answer all of your questions.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Your carb cleaning was likely lacking...... idle circuit on right side carb is probably plugged. Blocking air intake (while left is running) puts more vacuum on carb passages- fuel can now find a way up into carb throat.
      The idle circuit passages on these carbs are tiny- once gunked up, they need serious cleaning. New-to-you bike means maintenance- have you seen this stuff ?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the reply.As far as i am aware i have cleaned the carbs properly. The exhaust is straight through pipes and i have checked and reset the tappets. I have read that the entire pilot jet comes out but not sure how its done. is it a case of just pushing it out??

Comment

not clean

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
          Thanks for the reply.As far as i am aware i have cleaned the carbs properly. The exhaust is straight through pipes and i have checked and reset the tappets. I have read that the entire pilot jet comes out but not sure how its done. is it a case of just pushing it out??
          If you didn't take your jets out when you cleaned them, you didn't clean them properly. They should be completely disassembled, and everything but rubber components should have a full 24 hour dip in Berryman's or a similar product.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Have a look at the tutorials found here on Basscliff's site: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff

You will find two different tutorials on carb cleaning, one for the older VM carbs and one for the CVs.

BTW, what year is this bike of yours?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Dip the float bowls too. The fuel feed for the choke comes from a little well in the float bowl, it usually is the first thing to clog. Make sure the little passage is clear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X