HELP !! Need 450s carb advice/guidance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP !! Need 450s carb advice/guidance.

I have an '81 GS450s, sat for long time. I took the carbs apart, cleaned everything up, put in new spark plugs and the bike ran great. We've been running it on and off for a couple of months while we do some other work (new chain, wheels, bearings, brake lines, etc...) and recently the bike started running poorly and barely idling. Rough idle, stalling, hesitates when accel, slow decel. Took the carbs apart and recleaned, some of the jets were blocked again, reassembled and tried again, marginally better.
    Yes, I have a new inline fuel filter and new fuel line, yes I'm running pod filters, and the bike had been running great, idled beautifully, pulled hard thru the gears, but no more.

So the question is...if I don't want to have ANY carb issues again, what should I do? I'm guessing take them apart and soak them overnight, blow out with compressor and make sure are super clean...but then what? Some say o-ring kit, other say carb kit. Do I need diaphrams or slides? Or gaskets? There are so many threads and pieces of info, it's very confusing so I'm hoping one of you out there is a 450s authority and can say:
    1. use these parts.
    2. here's where to get them,
    3. here are the carb adjustment specs.
    Please !
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2014, 07:32 PM.

Yes you need to tear them apart and soak and clean them thoroughly. Look on Basscliff's site there is a step by step on there on how to properly do it. You'll need set of O-rings from Cycle-O-Rings and maybe some float bowl gaskets. Should replace O-rings under carb. holders attached to engine (he has those too). Soak them in Berryman's carb. cleaner and follow instructions. Then adjust the valves, then synch. the carbs. and should be good to go. May have to adjust mixture screws on carbs. for best idle. terrylee

Comment

Working...
    X