Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-jetting without taking off the carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-jetting without taking off the carbs?

My bike is customized and has no air box, the battery is also moved. so basically the whole "triangle" is empty except the pods.
    will i be able to change main jets ans set the needle height without taking the carbs off the bike?
    i have Allen screws in the carbs

try it and find out!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Probably could change jets, could certainly check the fuel level with the tube in the drain plug, maybe even make slight adjustment to the floats, but…….

If you have no airbox the carburetors come off in a minute or two, why bother?

Take it off and do everything right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd like to hear about that...

I've been told, and I believe it can't be done, but I have no personal knowledge of that (I'd sooner take a drill to my sister-in-law than my carbs. When my tuner does it this spring, I'll turn my back.)

1100EZ
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have done them on a 550 with stock airbox in place, it's a bitch to remove the carbs on that model. I could do crude float adjustments, changing main jets was a snap with proper screwdriver. You can remove the float to bend it if you wish, that is easy but putting them back in was very hard. After doing it once I'd rather bend them in place, and check the fuel level. Float bowl screws are harder, but possible, easier with allen head screws.

Pilot jets are not going to come out from underneath, I don't think. Maybe if they were installed very loosely, but most are cranked down way too hard.

But the 450 may be a lot tighter down there, don't know. At least you don't have two inboard carbs to work on, they were much much harder.

But still, with no airbox the carbs pop off way too easily to even think about doing this.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I can do it easy on my 450... the allen heads make it simple with the right length allen key.

My pilots and mains are in the float bowl, so about 20 to 30 minutes to change them out without removing carbs. The location of my pipe makes the left one a little more difficult so it could be quicker...

By taking my tank off, I can easily get the diaphragm covers off with a long allen key, meaning needle adjustments are also easy without removing the carbs. Around 45 minutes usually for tank off, both slides out and in, and tank back on.

Interestingly enough, if I had the stock airbox in, I believe I could still do the same...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

IMHO I would take the carbs off. Being you have the airbox off, it would be a lot easier to just remove the carbs and work on them, especially replacing the jets.
              The float height will be a bit harder without them on the bike, but I am in the process of making a holder for bench testing the fuel levels on the carbs.
              It will be set up where you can set the fuel level on pretty much any carb, both the twins and inline 4's, and it will have all of the necessary parts to set the floats.
              It will be fully adjustable for the intake boots.
              As soon as I get a drawing made, I will post it on here.

Comment

Working...
              X