Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuttering up to 3k rpms, won't idle without choke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuttering up to 3k rpms, won't idle without choke.

I think it's because it's running lean.
    It's a 83 GSX1100ES. It won't idle without a little bit of choke, if I turn of the choke it will idle for a couple of seconds then slowly die. Doesn't matter how far in I turn the idle screw, I set it to idle at 2500rpms but still it just died...
    So I think something is wrong in the idle department.
    It also stutters and jerks violently when trying to apply slight throttle from idle and up to about 3000rpms, beyond that it's silky smooth power delivery.
    Again a reason why I'm suspecting something in the idle department...

Should I try adjusting the air screw?
    EDIT: MIXTURE screw was probably what I meant.....

EDIT2: Strip/dip is planned....

Sounds like your pilot circuit is clogged. Time to strip & dip. Have fun, and be sure and follow Nessism's guide to the letter. Taking shortcuts means a re-do.

Comment

+ 1 Koolaid Kid

Comment

You also should check the spark on all the plug leads,you may have some bad caps,or coils.
        If it's not sparking on all cylinders,you can work on the carbs for years without fixing them.
        Check compression,also.

Comment

It needs to have the carbs cleaned , a proper strip and dip with new O-rings and it should run like new again
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by megatwin View Post
            You also should check the spark on all the plug leads,you may have some bad caps,or coils.
            If it's not sparking on all cylinders,you can work on the carbs for years without fixing them.
            Check compression,also.
            If he is fine at other rpm's and needs to use choke to idle- there is nothing else to look at- it's the carbs. Compression shouldn't even be an issue-
            learn to troubleshoot, not chase.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread since I now have an update and I'm somewhat confused.

I have not started or run the bike since it fell over sometime late january and cracked the stator cover.
              Now thursday I got it running again, I have not done ANYTHING to the engine/carbs except checked/adjusted valves and replaced stator gasket and valve cover gasket. But it's running fine now. It started and ran fine indoors, didn't die on idle and idled and ran fine without choke...
              I took it for a test run and yeah there was some minor irregularites felt in the idle/slow circuit but nothing too bad, certainly nothing like the bonerattling stuttering i felt when I ran it in january and nothing that made the bike unridable or something that could wipe the smile of my face....

So I'm wondering what could have happened? I recently read something about carbuttor icing, could that be what happened? It was pretty cold that day, between 0 and 5 degrees C.
              Could it have been bad fuel? Particles in the fuel?

The carb rack is off now for a strip and cleaning, I have only removed the fuel bowls and everything inside there is clean as a whistle, the slides also move freely and the spark plugs are a light brownish color like they should be on a good running engine....

So I'm curious about all this....

Comment

Not running in cold weather and rinning better in warm, could be its too lean, the cold air is more dense and so it's actually leaner in winter than it is now. Just barely too lean to run nice in the cold, in warmer weather it works better. Carburetor icing is not likely with the stock air box, and it usually occurs on very humid days, was it humid that day?

Bad gas didn't get better by itself, did you get drain the old and get new gas?

I'd go with the lean mixture thing, which means you need to to a proper carburetor cleaning. Visibly clean as a whistle means nothing, you can't see inside the tiny passages that clog up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No, was pretty dry, just cold...

The gas, yes, well I tipped the bike over after I came back from the ride(i filled it up too while on the testride,full tank of fresh gas) so alot of gas went on the floor, some in the engine (yes I have changed oil) and a good deal ON the engine ;-)

Upon starting it now Thursday gasoline poured all over again because the fuel filter the previous owner had fitted is of the type that can be dismantled and it had worked it self loose. Maybe it was clogged before or something, I don't know. Gonna rebuild them anyways now, just puzzled by how it worked so fine now while it was s*** before but your theory sounds plausible though :-)

Comment

Lose the inline filter, it isn't needed unless the tank is rusty. A lot of times they cause problems. If the tank is rusty fix it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Lose the inline filter, it isn't needed unless the tank is rusty. A lot of times they cause problems. If the tank is rusty fix it.
                      I'm planning on it as the tank is fine inside.

Comment

Maybe you had a stuck float and the tumble loosened it up. Just guessing. Agree with above about it's probably running lean. I still think a good strip and dip couldn't hurt. Not really that hard to do once you get the carbs off.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

But man them carbs is hard to get off! Or rather the air box

I'm actually in the process of cleaning them as we speak.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                            But man them carbs is hard to get off! Or rather the air box
                            This is about the time where some guys will say "screw the air box, I'm going to switch to pods".

Pods will make carburetor removal easier, which is good, because you will be removing them PLENTY of times, getting the jetting correct.

On the other hand, clean the carbs properly, you won't have to remove them for another 10-15 years.

Of course, that assumes that you winterize properly, if necessary, and keep up with all your other maintenance.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The fact that this bike is equipped with a 4-1 exhaust, could that have anything to say on it running slightly rough in the idle/slow section?

Comment

Working...
                              X