Fuel in oil, best way for cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel in oil, best way for cleanup

Quick history, 1981 gs1100e. Last year adjusted valves, rebuilt carbs and synched completely. New battery and all electrics checked and cleaned. Bike ran fine until last month on warm day it was very low on gas....popping a bit but it was 45 degrees, went to gas station across street and topped tank off. Went 100 feet and died. Could get started but not idling well. I do remember trying the prime position for a few but not leaving in there too long I believe. Anyway today pulled the carbs off after that noticed gas in my oil. Checked tank valve, sucked on vac line and gas comes out and stops when vac removed. Either it is intermittent or it is my fault. Question, what is best cleanup process after draining and trying to decide to take all carbs apart and check for debris etc.
    Thanks a bunch Al.

how much gas do you think went in the oil? how high was the level on the sight glass?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Above the sight level, it was solid. Already drained it out, but have not pulled oil filter yet, as will need to get another.

Comment

just refill the engine with new oil and new filter. it will be fine.
        but check your carbs and petcock over to make sure it wont happen again
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ok thanks, Maybe I will gamble and just put carbs back in and sync again and give it a try.
          Im assuming fuel in oil will make run improperly etc.

Comment

synching carbs has nothing to do with the fuel in oil. either float needles/floats are sticking or worn or petcock is at fault
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ok, as of now no gas flow from tank in fuel position, but doe s flow when I suck on it. Like you said I will check carbs.......has a petcock ever malfunctioned intermittently or they just go.

Comment

Originally posted by alhntr View Post
                Ok thanks, Maybe I will gamble and just put carbs back in and sync again and give it a try.
                Im assuming fuel in oil will make run improperly etc.
                Do not run you engine with fuel in the oil.

Comment

It did not run long, I walked it home and week later started it up but would not idle well.
                  Today looked further removed carbs and remembered from earlier posts so looked at oil, also there was some oil in air box which clued me in. But I am taking carbs apart to inspect and clean. Thanks for help fellows.

Comment

Working...
                  X