pilot jet and main jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot jet and main jets

I need to change the pilot and main jet in my stock mikuni carbs and needed to know how many of each jet I would need. Also if anyone has done this before and know the stock size of the jets so I can double check the sizes j found on the internet that would be cool thanks

I don't have a copy in front of me at the moment, but you can find the stock jet sizes in your service manual that you can download from BassCliff's site.

You have a two-cylinder bike with two carbs, you will need one of whatever item for each carb.

Why do you need to change the jets?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright thanks.. I changed the mufflers and put pod filters on instead of the air box .. I had her runnung with before I switched the air box. Once j put the pod filters on I cant seem to get it to turn over.. tried basicly every postion on the idle adjustment screw chock on chock off just wont turn . I actully took the pods off last weekend and sprayed a lil starter fluid in there started reved real high not aure where to and then just died doen

Comment

OK Which pods and which exhaust pipe? What else did you do to it? You say it's not turning over, that's a starter problem. Or do you mean it turns with the starter but won't fire at all? Or do you mean it fires but won't run by itself?
        Last edited by tkent02; 03-12-2014, 03:13 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

These are the filters are 48mm moxi filters I boughr off ebay.. and the muflers are 16 inch shorty slashcut mufflers I got from dime city cycles. Starter cranks and everything just dosnt fire you can hear it wanting to start just not getting there. I tried uploading a picture idn if itll work or not but you can see the mufflers in it but the air box was still on the bike whwn I took it so ignore that

Comment

Welcome to the world of tuning

You'll need to do a lot of carb fiddling to get it to run right
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yea I asumed it be a pain in the ass. Id love to do it myself but been debatinv on weatger just to take it to a shop and have them do it. I talked to the people I got the muffs from and he told me that with what I did to the bike id have to adjust the pilot and main jets. Said I should buy three sizes up of bot and keep swaping them to they run right

Comment

Your shorty mufflers will probably need a 2-4 size increase in the mains, your pods will likely need a 3-5 size increase. Yep, you are looking at a probable 5-9 size increase, not 3.

Unless you have bored out the cylinders or changed cams, you might not need to change the pilot jet. If you do change it, it should only need to go one size.

Note that the mains cover the upper end and the pilots handle the bottom end, so you will also need to raise the needles to cover the mid-range.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good info. And raising the needles do you have to buy diffrent ones or is there a way u just raise the ones that are currently In there.

Comment

Working...
                  X