Airbox Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Issues

Ok slowly but surely I've been fixing my GS550 to a reliable running state. I've finished the electrical system and now am moving on to fuel/air. It originally had EMGO pods so I threw that crap away. I went to a local salvalge shop and got part of an airbox. I then ordered the metal box that houses the filter, and then ordered the thing the filter attaches to. There lies my problem I see no conceivable way for the filter piece to bolt into the metal box. The pictures all look like the correct parts. Are their airbox differences between GS550's? I'll post some pictures of it all when I get home.

I think the metal parts are the same for all years of the 550, but I havent owned any later than 1979, so not really sure. Can you show me pics of what you have and why it won't fit? Maybe I have what you need.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Can you post up a picture of what you do have? What year is your 550? If it's like ours, the filter cage slides down and screws to a mount on the front. If that top mount is missing you'll want to make something for it; TCK made one for me two years ago that worked until I bought a new box two months ago. I still have that handmade bracket I think and can send it to you.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Comment

Looks like a PO removed a lot of the brackets you need both inside and out of your air box. You'll want to make some brackets and use nuts/screws or find another complete air box on EBay

This one has the internal brackets you'll need

and so does this one but is pretty rusted

while this one has all of the brackets you need

However, keep in mind the internal brackets are one piece to the box so if you don't fashion up some on your own you'll need a new box. The brackets that hold the entire assembly to the frame are separate pieces so if you can find those separately you'd be okay.

What year bike do you have?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Looks like ill be tig welding some brackets at work tonight lol. Thanks for the help I had no idea there was supposed to have brackets.

Comment

Keep in mind the top bracket inside has a distinct shape to ensure the air box tightens up against it properly.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

It's a 1980 GS550. It was a poorly put together cafe racer style bike when I got it. I'm sure it'll be missing quite few pieces since the previous owner welded the battery box where the airbox should be.

Comment

You want ne to send you the right pieces? I have extras.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Take Tom up on his offer, it will work out better for you

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                    X