Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ONE CARB ONLY - on a GS450. Would you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONE CARB ONLY - on a GS450. Would you do it?

Here's my situation: I've got an 81 GS450S I'm trying to get back together. I'm having carb issues. Right now they're totally apart and soaking in a gallon can of Berrymans carb dip. I have the oring kit that everyone recommends from one of the members here. I also have a sigma6 jet kit sitting there waiting to go in. Tonight, when I took the carbs apart, the bowl gaskets fell apart, the choke gaskets are looking pretty shabby, the washers under the needle valves disintegrated upon removal AND...worst part....I broke a needle jet when taking the carbs apart. One pulled right out, the other one broke in half. I've ordered the washers and bowl gaskets but I can't find the needle jet. Jet # y-6.

So, am thinking I've wasted enough money on these old carbs and am thinking of cutting my losses. I have a great fabricator who could build me a 2-into-1 manifold and I could mount a single carb bootie on the end for a single carb. I gues I'd have to go up in size, am thinking of a round slide carb like a VM36 instead of the two BS34SS that I have now.

So, my question is, given my my situation, can't find a needed part and all for finding a simpler way of doing things...would you gamble and mount a single carb? Do you think a 36 is big enough or should I go larger?

I would not recommend a single carb on a 450 - or any other 180 degree crank twin. The intake periods are staggered in such a fashion that one cylinder will always starve.
    There are plenty of alternative twin carb setups around if rebuilding OE doesn't work for you.

Comment

If yours are beyond hope ,get a new set like this; be cheaper than fabricating/experimenting stuff. as you have learned, you have to be careful when dismantling carbs

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X