main air jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

main air jet

can anyone answer this question for me ? i have a 1983 gs 650g , i totally dissassembled my carbs over the weekend and everything went well , carbs were very dirty and there now very clean , i have done this before , but this time i removed the main air jet screw located on thin inner part of the air intake side , little screw to the left , and cleaned them , which was good cuzz 2 of the four screws were plugged up !1 my question is when putting that main air jet screw back , do you screw it in all the way , or do you screw it in all the way then back it out a couple turns ??
    any help would be appriciated .. thx

If its the air jet on the air filter side of the carb then you seat it completely just like all the other brass jets. The only thing you adjust is the fuel mixture screw that's located behind the block off plug on top of the carb just before the intake boot on the engine side of the carb. That screw gets set to around 2 1/2 turns out.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

yup that is exactly the screw i was referring to , on the air filter side .. awsome and thank you !! didnt want to put carbs back in and remove again due to 4 little screws , as for the screw on the engine side ... i have it backed off 2.5 turns .. awsome and again thank you

Comment

one other small issue i am having is , say im riding along and i crack the throttle full , the bike bogs for 4 or 5 seconds , then it takes off !! any suggestions ?? if i slowely give throttle it doesnt happen , just when i crack the throttle ..

Comment

Check "choke" linkage- my 650 will bog if choke is left slightly open (when warm)

I'll ask - how did you clean carbs? do you have stock airbox and stock airfilter box??
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

ill look into that Tom .. thx
            as for cleaning carbs , removed carbs from bike , on bench , took all carbs off rack , cleaned exterior of carbs pryor to dissasebly with tooth brush and carb cleaner , then dissasembled , entire carb ... floats , jets , everything , soaked all jets in gasoline for 24 hrs , then cleaned using various sized needles etc , basikly took everything appart except for butterfly ..

picked this bike up last year , for $1200 and since then i have put new for seals , new throttle cable , choke cable tach cable , changed shaft drive fluids , a few oil changes with new filters , bike is all original , original air intake no pods , however the previous owner did dril 4 holes in the exhast tail pipe ,why ?? i dont know ,the bike was running a little lean and had some popping in the exhaust , i have since installed rivits in the tail pipe to close up the four holes he drilled in each pipe , and now the popping is gone and the bike is no longer running lean ....

Comment

i have a slight oil leak at the chain tensioner which i have to look into , and a very small leak of oil on my valve cover , which i plan to pick up a new gasket in the next week or so and replace the existing gasket ...
              never done valve shims before , so im gunna poke around while in there and get familier with thats aspect of things !! im a custom woodworker by trade .. NOT A MECHANIC !!! lol

Comment

That is the pilot air jet. The main air jet is the hole at around four o-clock and is not adjustable.
                Tighten the pilot air jet all the way in.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thx Chef ill do that this evening before i put the carbs back into the bike ..

Comment

You're a brave guy to use gasoline as your carb cleaner- I have no opinion on how effective it is in dissolving crap that might have been sitting in carbs for awhile -let's call me skeptical !.At that price, sounds like this bike was a runner when you bought it, is this true?
                    Anyways, back to bogging issue. You know those little holes in carb throat (in vicinity of throttle plates) that supply mixture when you're "just riding along" ? I'm under the impression that when you nail throttle, they supply a shot of fuel till the vacuum pistons do their thing and join party. Maybe those holes aren't totally clean.

If you haven't put many hours on bike- try some kind of fuel cleaner (like Seafoam or equivalent) in a few tanks of gas. If winter ever ends ,That is!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah I didnt sit the hole carb in gasoline Tom .. just all the jets soaking in a jar ...I first liberally cleaned exterior of carbs with toothbrush and small amounts of gas , wiping frequently with rags . Interior of carbs I used a hole can of carb cleaner .... it seamed to have worked great !! Just fired the bike up and after a little tinkering with the idle screw adjustment on the back center of the carb . The bike sounds better then it has ever sounded , its still cold here in toronto ontario -12 right now .. but after taking a quick toot up the street and back , the bike has jump and goes the second you let the clutch out !! I wasnt able to try cracking the throttle full in fourth and 5 th gear to see if the booging is gone , due to ice and snow still on the streets ...
                      Tomorrow there calling for plus 5 so im hoping to get out for a test run tomorrow ..
                      Thx so very much for your suggestions
                      As for the condition of the bike pryor to me owning it ... it had sat for a while and hhad bad gas in it and im no mechanic but based on alot of things , oil , shaft drive oil etc things hadnt been maintained on the bike frequently ..

Comment

I hope that's plus 5 Celsius! This winter is dragging on- my bike is snow trapped in basement for 4 more weeks at a minimum. Anyways, run some cleaner in your gas -won't hurt and just might loosen up gunk stuck in carbs' internal passages that you can't get to without the total dip of the carb bodies.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X