If I pull it all the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I pull it all the way

The bike runs fantastically, except for starting cold...I have to hold the choke all the way open and even then, it doesn't always start right away...It seems as though if I could get it past the stopping point, the choke would work properly, alas, I have to pull it all the way towards me and hold it there in order for the bike to start cold...I have turned that screw as much as I want to turn it, I am afraid to break it, to get the choke all the way open...Maybe the cable is too stretched...I haven't found another way to adjust it other than at the control on the handle bar...Any suggestions would be welcome...

Can you tell if the plungers are moving just after the lever starts moving? If so, then they are being pulled far enough.

How long have you had this bike?

How much of its service history do you know?

Have you done any work to it yourself?

If you don't know the history and have not done anything yourself, it's time to start.

It's time to pull the carbs, take them completely apart, do a full "strip-and-dip" cleaning and put them back on.

While the carbs are in the "dip", check your valve clearances.

Tight clearances (typical) and dirty carbs will make starting very hard.

With properly-cleaned carbs and properly-adjusted valves, you should only have to move your "choke" control about half-way, and seemingly only think about pushing the button to get it running. Yes, they really do start that easily.

If you don't feel comfortable rebuilding your own carbs, look in the "GS Parts and Services" section, you will find a few of us that offer that service for you for a modest fee.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

With properly-cleaned carbs and properly-adjusted valves, you should only have to move your "choke" control about half-way, and seemingly only think about pushing the button to get it running. Yes, they really do start that easily.
      He's in Phoenix, 1/4 choke, max.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have many posts referring to the bike.

If you search my name you can find all the posts about rebuilding the bike...Carbs are completely rebuilt, original jetting installed...Bike has had an overhaul, all new shocks, front springs, fork seals, brakes, SS brakes lines, master cylinders, valve shims, tires, plugs, wires, regulator, stator, coils, exhaust system complete gaskets, all fluids flushed and replaced. Original Intake filtration system installed. New Mirrors and all new turn signals and lights, rewired all old electrical connections. Took it into a great shop here in Phoenix and had him check all the work, he said it was showroom condition...all new control lines, clutch, tach, speedo, throttle.
        Only problem is the choke.

Comment

Plungers are all moving, seems that when it is cold I have to pull the lever all the way over...then it starts. Otherwise it runs like a top...I am not sure if it the jetting or not...I went with the original jets, because I figured that the engineers knew what they were doing.

Comment

Yeppers

Dipped, cleaned and blown out, new slides, seals, all new jets. No leaks and Carb Tuned. All clean and new everything. all slides slide...New floats, all set to specs, used the info on rebuilding carbs per, basscliffs site. Did everything to a T...Former Jet Mech and auto mechanic, done a lot of carb rebuilds and know how to do it right...
            Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

You dipped the float bowls themselves? That one passage gets skipped a lot.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep dipped them and blew them out, just to make sure...You gotta really face them away from you when you do it...Found that out on the first one.

Comment

I just thought of something, thanks to your conversation...The slides were not replaced...I thought of replacing them and the shop told me they looked pretty new...I think that the original owner drilled them out, due to the fact that he had pods on it and changed the jetting big time. He could never get the thing to run properly since he put pods on it...That is why I took the carbs apart and rebuilt them...Wow, totally forgot that...That could be the issue...

Comment

Originally posted by Meriban View Post
                    If you search my name you can find all the posts about rebuilding the bike.
                    Thanks for the summary. That just saved me probably several hours of searching all of your posts, and only took you about a minute to type.

Plungers are all moving, seems that when it is cold I have to pull the lever all the way over...then it starts. Otherwise it runs like a top...I am not sure if it the jetting or not...I went with the original jets, because I figured that the engineers knew what they were doing.
                    Sounds like the "choke" passages might be clogged. You might have cleaned them at one time, but "stuff" happens and something might have slipped by your filter and gotten back in.

Dipped, cleaned and blown out, new slides, seals, all new jets. No leaks and Carb Tuned. All clean and new everything. all slides slide...New floats, all set to specs, used the info on rebuilding carbs per, basscliffs site. Did everything to a T...Former Jet Mech and auto mechanic, done a lot of carb rebuilds and know how to do it right...
                    You don't find too many Mikuni carbs on jets or cars, so some A&P techs or ASE Certified mechanics don't have a clue. Not saying that you don't have a clue, just that knowing one system does not guarantee knowing the other.

Yep dipped them and blew them out, just to make sure...You gotta really face them away from you when you do it...Found that out on the first one.
                    That is why the safety glass recommendation is there.

I just thought of something, thanks to your conversation...The slides were not replaced...I thought of replacing them and the shop told me they looked pretty new...I think that the original owner drilled them out, due to the fact that he had pods on it and changed the jetting big time. He could never get the thing to run properly since he put pods on it...That is why I took the carbs apart and rebuilt them...Wow, totally forgot that...That could be the issue...
                    Really? You mentioned just a bit ago that they were.

Drilling the slides will not affect starting. It supposedly speeds up reaction to changing air pressure, which will allow the slides to lift (and fall) quicker when you get on the throttle.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info

I have had many motorcycles and worked on them as well...So, I am not a novice is what I was trying to get across. I remember ordering the slides but they were never shipped...It has been a while...I think I will take the carbs off again and clean them...I didn't know how drilling the slides out worked...never done that...I just thought that there might be something that I was missing...I think I will check the valve clearance again as well...Thanks for the assistance.

Comment

Working...
                      X