Slide Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slide Carb Question

Ok well I managed to find the brackets to mount my air filter to my airbox. Went to mount it and where the previous owner cut and welded the plate to house the electronics it no longer fits. Rather than cutting it out and starting over for a 3rd time moving all of the wiring around I decided to pick up a set of carbs from a 1978 GS550 and run k&n pods. Just wanted to verify they'd fit my '80 gs550 that had CV carbs.

How about a pic of your problem with the airbox on your 80 550 with CV's ? Changing to rack of VM's and adding pods sounds like a lot of work/effort to get bike to run right.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No, they won't fit without making up some intakes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The problem is the previous owner welded a plate unto the rear subframe and moved all if the electronics to there. The steel canister will need to go wher the front of that plate is. That involves cutting it out and moving the electrics somewhere else. I'll find a pic.

Comment

Comment

And before anyone comments on that wiring mess its been sorted out and redown with q new fuseblock, mosfet r/r, everything grounded properly, etc I did utilize that plate though because he chopped the stock brackets off. Really hating moronic owners lol.

Comment

Yeah, PO's never fail to amaze me with their handiwork. Looking at that (scary) pic, the rusted plate is the thing welded in? maybe it's just tack welded and you can snap it out. Then you could attach some brackets to hold airfilter box.
              Not to be the bearer of bad news, but your new mosfet R/R (no matter how awesome its rating) was an inferior choice to a series R/R on this size charging system.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'll look into it some more. It's not too big a deal to make it workable just time consuming which is hard with a 7 month old daughter lol. Could you shed some light on the R/R because it came highly recommended from another GS buddy of mine.

Comment

You really should use the Polaris series R/R.

Comment

Lots of confusion in this matter, let posplayr explain

read this -note that it's been updated

1981 gs650L

Comment

Come on, those other shendigans are just fine. The best upgrade there was until this new series thing came around. It will work just fine forever.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X