Fender rubbing Exhaust -- ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fender rubbing Exhaust -- ??

Anyone experienced this before? Any ideas?

I have a gs1000 with V&H drag pipes. The pipes came with the bike but were never installed on it. The fender that was on the bike had a dent just like the one pictured.

I bought a good new fender to replace it with but have now discovered that it rubs and is now dented in the same spot. ((Funny thing is that I thought the steering was acting notchy and was prepared to replace the steering head bearings when I noticed the dent in the new fender.))

It only rubs when I am on the bike. The forks are fully loaded with air.

Second question ??? Will a set of pipes from an 83 GS1100 fit on my bike?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

I think I have answered my own question on the fender... air had bled out of the shocks... even though I had rebuilt them less than a year ago.

Damn.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

Even though you lost air the fender should still not foul the pipes, are the fork tubes straight? If so then the pipes are not correct.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I do believe the drag pipes come out a bit further then the stock or street megaphones. Might want to find that out. Ditch the air in the forks and get new fork springs from Sonic Springs and use a bit heavier fork oil. Also, make sure the fender is fitting close to the tire like it should, there shouldn't be much space between the inside of the fender and the tire.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          I do believe the drag pipes come out a bit further then the stock or street megaphones. Might want to find that out. Ditch the air in the forks and get new fork springs from Sonic Springs and use a bit heavier fork oil. Also, make sure the fender is fitting close to the tire like it should, there shouldn't be much space between the inside of the fender and the tire.
          I didn't see this post till now. I will check that.

I assumed the fender only fit one way because there are 4 bolts.... but it makes sense because my other fender never scraped.

I also think these V&H straight pipes do stick out farther than they should... so I will be also looking for a different 4 in 1 pipe in my future.

In the meantime I put 3/4" spacers in my forks (ditched the air) and just cut the bottom off my fender.

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

It's the drag pipes, they don't work very well for a street bike. They drag on every right turn, they hit the fender, just no good for a street bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Quote; They drag on every right turn,
              Hence drag pipes
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
              X