#2 carb dead at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 carb dead at idle

Just did a top end rebuild on my '80 gs850. Problem im having now is while setting the idle mixtures on the carbs with a colortune I noticed that #2 is barely firing at idle. If I rev it up it kicks right in. Others seem to be running pretty decent. I pulled the bowl off the carb and seems to be pretty clean. Float isn't stuck, and screen is clear. Just seems like its starving for fuel because if I introduce a tiny bit of fuel mist into.the carb while its running (via spray bottle) it kicks right in. What should I be looking for in.the idle circuit that could be clogged?

Have you synchronized the carburetors yet? Have you seated the rings yet?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes the carbs are synched.. its ran for about 20 min. How long do I need to run it to seat in the rings? I was afraid to run it too long with the cylinder not firing right. The carbs are relatively clean inside but there is a little evidence of varnish. Do you think it just needs more time to seat the rings?
      Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Have you synchronized the carburetors yet? Have you seated the rings yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bikerdave View Post
        Yes the carbs are synched.. its ran for about 20 min. How long do I need to run it to seat in the rings? I was afraid to run it too long with the cylinder not firing right. The carbs are relatively clean inside but there is a little evidence of varnish. Do you think it just needs more time to seat the rings?
        If there is varnish showing then you need to clean the carbs. Also you say the carbs are synced, is that a bench sync or while running?
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

How long do I need to run it to seat in the rings?
          It's not how long, it's how hard. Open the throttle.

Comment

Only very minor staining in the bowl. The working parts are clean. I only had it running at about 2-3k. If I bring it up to 4-5k it kicks right in. Maybe the rings aren't broke in yet. They were vacuum synched before i tore it down. It ran good before the teardown but the lower jug gasket was leaking terribly. The bike had been sitting awhile and is higher miles so I just refreshed everything in the top end. And yes the valve clearances were checked and adjusted. I'm thinking I just need to run it in more. Because it seems to get better the longer I run it. Was just afraid to run it on a misfiring cylinder for too long.

Comment

Only very minor staining in the bowl. The working parts are clean. I only had it running at about 2-3k. If I bring it up to 4-5k it kicks right in. Maybe the rings aren't broke in yet. They were vacuum synched before i tore it down. It ran good before the teardown but the lower jug gasket was leaking terribly. The bike had been sitting awhile and is higher miles so I just refreshed everything in the top end. And yes the valve clearances were checked and adjusted. I'm thinking I just need to run it in more. Because it seems to get better the longer I run it. Was just afraid to run it on a misfiring cylinder for too long.
              Take it for a good hard ride. Open and close the throttle. Once the rings have seated synch the carbs again. The previous synch is null and void once you put in new rings or even adjusted the valves.

Comment

Ah ok. i will try that thanks!

Comment

Yes the carbs are synched.. its ran for about 20 min.
                  How long the bike ran has very little to do with carb sync. As long as it is warm enough to not be running on "choke", you are OK.

The carbs are relatively clean inside but there is a little evidence of varnish.
                  "Relatively clean" does not cut it. They need to be PERFECTLY clean. The parts that NEED to be clean can not be seen for inspection, and they are the ones that affect idle and low-speed operation the most.

Only very minor staining in the bowl. The working parts are clean.
                  The bowl can be terribly "stained" and the bike can work perfectly, so that is NOT an indicator.
                  What are you calling "working parts"? As mentioned above, the parts that NEED to be clean can not be seen and can not be removed for cleaning. You need to do a full "strip-and-dip" cleaning, followed by a new set of o-rings.

I only had it running at about 2-3k. If I bring it up to 4-5k it kicks right in.
                  Sounds like a very BAD carb sync or clogged fuel passages inside the carb. 4-5k RPM in neutral is still pretty much on the idle (pilot) circuit.

They were vacuum synched before i tore it down.
                  And how many times do we see ads in the paper for a bike that "ran well before it was parked"?
                  The very fact that you have "refreshed" the upper end (rings? valves? carbs? whatever?) will change the amount of air that each cylinder can breathe in. The carb's throttle plate needs to be adjusted to match, so you need to re-sync the carbs. As tkent mentioned, even a valve adjustment requires a carb sync, and you have done so much more.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You need to remove the pilot jet and clean it and the passage it sits it. Unfortunately, you'll have to pull the carbs to get at that one.

Comment

Pulling the carbs is super easy on an 850. May or may not need it. A poor idle is a minor inconvemnience. Much more important is to seat the rings while its still possible. Run the crap out of it, opening and closing the throttle. Worry about the idle problem later.

Poor compression forever because you didn't seat the rings when they were new is a much more serious problem than a little rough idling and running on three cylinders at low power

If you don't get it, read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

Comment

The pilot jet (the one under the rubber plug) has a VERY small hole in the end. With the ethanol crap gas we get now it takes only months to plug those up. I am trying Sta-bil in every tank to see if it helps...
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Do you park it for months on every tank?

Comment

Heres the whole story... Got the bike as a project. It was sitting almost 5 years. First thing I did was dismantle and rebuild the carbs, synched and tuned them and it ran OK. Then rode the bike for a season. Near the end of the season the lower jug gasket began leaking badly. The valve seals burnt oil a bit and it has some miles on it. First top end rebuild I've done. Messed with carbs plenty of times on my old gs550. Anyway, replaced the valve seals, cleaned and relapped the valves, had jugs checked for clearance and runout an honed. Installed new rings. New gaskets, had to order some smaller valve shims due to machining the valves a bit. Now that its all back together I'm having what seems to be fuel delivery issues. haven't done much with the carbs besides inspection since the first rebuild. But when I say relatively clean I mean all the brass workings are spotless only the bowl has some yellowing that won't come off even after hot dipping and scrubbing. I don't see it being my issue. the pilot jets are clean as a whistle. Though I wasn't aware that the ring breakin was done by running the bike hard. I've always done car engines and your taught to run them at cruising speed for about a half hour. Which I've done and #2 seems to lean out and die off when the bike gets down below 3k rpm. But the more I run it the better it seems so you may be onto something with the rings not being seated. I'll also recheck the synch. I wad just attempting to set the mixture first because it seemed like had no fuel. I pulled the carbs back apart and went back over them. Seem to be ok. But I may resoak #2 just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Do you park it for months on every tank?
                              If you were responding to me, I thoroughly cleaned the carbs in May. The pilot jet was plugged again by September. There were multiple tanks run through it over the summer. On disassembly over the winter, there was an abundance of white chalky corrosion which I am assuming is from water after only 4 months. I am now adding Sta-bil to each tank to see if it makes a difference. Where I live we have to use ethanol added gas all year, 8.5% in Winter and 10% in the summer. Add the condensation from 8 months of rain a year in Seattle and at least for me it is annual carb cleaning. I pull the Vacuum line from the petcock and run the gas out if I am anticipating extended time without riding. Maybe different in other areas or fuel blends....
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X