pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pods

ok, i have a gs 750 and carbs are being rebuilt this week, and thinking of pod air filters... i did the search feature, and i know ill have to rejet the carbs for pods. my questions are pros/cons for pods? is there a base needle setting for pods till i can fine tune her? and who is a good source/brand for pods?

Ape

I put APEs on my 1100EZ. They look great, just like K&Ns, but at half the cost.

BTW - I haven't been able to rejet the carbs yet, so I just taped over about 7/8 of the pod, and she runs great. I'm excited to find out what it'll be like when I get it properly jetted with the pods wide open.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

What year 750?

Makes a BIG difference what we need to recommend.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

oops 1981 750 ex

Comment

Pros/cons?
          Pros:
          Some people think they look GREAT.
          The do allow more air flow for more power.

Cons:
          They will end up costing you a BUNCH of money. The cheap ones (EMGO, etc.) are disposables. When they get dirty, throw them out and get new ones. Better ones (APE, K&N, etc.) cost more to purchase, but can be cleaned and re-used.
          They will require re-jetting, which might be a few bucks for some new jets or over $100 for a good jet kit with new needles.
          They are rather susceptible to rain and other weather conditions.
          They eliminate the rear support for the carbs.
          They are NOISY.

Base setting for needles (and other jetting)?
          Surely you have seen some of the many suggestions to do a quick search. It all depends on which pods you get and what exhaust system you are using, but you will generally add 2-6 sizes for a pipe and 4-8 sizes for pods. Needles will need to be lifted, how much will depend on what you have. The needles are not the right shape, though, which is what makes kits like DynoJets worth the money.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X