Is this the correct petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the correct petcock

So last year when I first started my build and the first part I bought was a new petcock. After learning a lot over the last year it's one of the last things I'm installing. But now I noticed I probably bought the incorrect part. If you could look at the picture you can tell they are pretty different. Can I still use this? I would need to make the filter hole larger, but the mounting bolts do match up? Since I bought this last yr I doubt I can return it now.

The tank is from a 80 GS750E 16v

Thanks,

the ugly one on bottom of pic seems to be the dreaded 1980 petcock -are the mounting bolts spaced 50mm on centerline ?

You'd probably be best to get the same unit again- this guy has them. Easier than messing with tank

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tank valve

I have a 1981 gs 550 t that uses a valve like your upper one
      It runs using vacuum open from cyc number two or raw open if you need a prime and a reserve setting...
      It would be a pain if your not set to use vacuum to remember to close it after riding so you don't fill a cylinder
      Si fit and function might be an issue..

Comment

I suck eyeballing anything. The mounting bolts on the old one is 50 and the new one is 45 so it won't work at all. The schematic on bike bandit shows the new one in the picture for my model bike. ugh.

Comment

Just sell the new one on here -it's used widely and after someone attempts to rebuild their petcock, a brand new one looks great!

I don't like the 1980 petcock but they do work when new!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
            I suck eyeballing anything. The mounting bolts on the old one is 50 and the new one is 45 so it won't work at all. The schematic on bike bandit shows the new one in the picture for my model bike. ugh.
            That's funny.

I just went to Bike BANDIT, looked up your '80 750E, found the FUEL COCK fiche and saw this:
            You are wanting item #1, not #3 (or is that #5).

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did buy the #3 by mistake, but doesn't the filter on #1 look the same width wise? if so it's too large to fit in the tank. Good news is that Suzuki Boulevard will take it back and Z1 has one for right at the same price with the correct petcock and filter.

Comment

You want #1. And the filter is round, not like the pic in the parts fiche.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Would this be the correct one because it looks like the one I pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
                    Would this be the correct one because it looks like the one I pulled out.
                    http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=KL18-4357

Yes, that be the one.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. Suzuki Boulevard said they had that one, but it was $110! So I return the wrong one that I bought 57 I actually got this one cheaper. Not sure why the other one is so much more than Z1

Comment

Working...
                      X