Very disturbing crack on carb 'to head'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very disturbing crack on carb 'to head'

I've attached photos. It seems these were here before I got my bike because i have old photos of the crack before I realized it was there.

Will the boot cover this? Will this cause performance issues? I have to say, seeing this caught me off guard.

You should notify the prevention of cruelty to carb league. That's pitiful- did you buy this as a nonrunner?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Looks like someone dropped the carbs at one point. From the photos, it looks like the boot will cover the cracks just fine.

But make sure that piece of metal isn't going to come loose. If it does, it will go into your engine and then you will have a bad day.

If you wanted to go overkill, you could patch the whole works up with JB Weld and sand/file it down to the proper profile. But probably not strictly necessary from what I see here.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        You should notify the prevention of cruelty to carb league. That's pitiful- did you buy this as a nonrunner?
        Carb Protection services is sending a social worker out right away.

Yeah it was a nonrunner from a friends dad who rode it for a couple of years until his back went out. According to him, the bike was running fine the day he just left it in his garage and threw in the towel. I'm suspecting it was the original buyer. I strongly feel it is.. not as much of a concern as I may think. that owner had EVERY oil change to major repair documented all the way from 1984 when he bought it. It was regularly maintained and routinely brought into the dealer. So I suspect that somewhere down the road it was deemed.. perhaps, "not serious."

We'll see!

Comment

Working...
        X