Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle jet position

Hi all
    I took apart my carbs for the second time because I thought I had a lean condition going on plus some vacuum leakage. I looked at the needle jet and found the PO has replaced it with a notched needle, it was set to the 2nd from the bottom, also it has 120 mains and stock exhaust + airbox. Which notch should I set it to?
    Here is the needle

Not actually certain about the lean condition here is my build thread
    Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Thanks in advance!

I see you are in Canada, our bikes came with adjustable needles. The service manual should say what notch they should be set at as stock.

Comment

Your spark plugs will tell you whether the needles are set right or not.

Do some "plug chops", especially the half-throttle ones.

Read the plugs, they will tell you if the needles need to move, and which way.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What is that in what looks like the airbox tubes? Where does the filter go?
        Are you totally stripping and dipping those carbs and putting in a new o-ring kit?
        Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

@gearhead13 It was just dirt/dust stuck in the rough edges, just washed them out, filter is in the airbox I've cleaned and lightly oiled it already.

Dippind carbs right now, Oring kit from cycleorings isin the mail along with intake rings and @Steve some extra plugs to chop, just looking for a starting point ill check the manual

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Got it!

Found a Clymer manual on my computer with the notch position, just as I guessed! I had been using a Haynes that didn't have this! Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Uladimir View Post
              @Steve some extra plugs to chop, just looking for a starting point ill check the manual
              Keep in mind that no plugs need to be sacrificed by cutting them apart.

Click HERE to see exactly how it is done.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The lower the clip on the needle, the richer the mid fuel mix will be. Lower clip raises the position of the needle inside the nozzle.

Comment

@gearhead13 It was just dirt/dust stuck in the rough edges, just washed them out, filter is in the airbox I've cleaned and lightly oiled it already.

Dippind carbs right now, Oring kit from cycleorings isin the mail along with intake rings and @Steve some extra plugs to chop, just looking for a starting point ill check the manual

Thanks for the replies
                  What happened? Did you have a rat chewing on that, or did the po "modify" it?
                  Did the manual say what size main jet is stock, because a 120 seems pretty big. What kind of filter does it have? A foam type? K&N?
                  Where did you find a manual for the Canadian/uk type GS 4 valve twin?

Comment

Ok thanks, for some reason I though I read somewhere that a lug chop involved a hacksaw, but there were DR8EA plugs on there where the manual says BR8ES-L anyways so ive got some of those coming

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Keep in mind that no plugs need to be sacrificed by cutting them apart.

Click HERE to see exactly how it is done.

Comment

Ok thanks, for some reason I though I read somewhere that a lug chop involved a hacksaw, but there were DR8EA plugs on there where the manual says BR8ES-L anyways so ive got some of those coming
                      Yours should take the DR8EA plugs, the first letter tells you the size of the thread of the plug and the 4 valve takes a smaller threaded plug.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                        What happened? Did you have a rat chewing on that, or did the po "modify" it?
                        Did the manual say what size main jet is stock, because a 120 seems pretty big. What kind of filter does it have? A foam type? K&N?
                        Where did you find a manual for the Canadian/uk type GS 4 valve twin?
                        Looks like the PO hacked it up for some reason, nothing in the manual on Main jet sizes as it assumes you have stock jets. Foam filter. And I searched internet for a few days found pdfs at www.manualedereparatie.info, I don't even know what language the site is in but seach is starighfoward and the maual was in English! Most importantly FREE

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                          Yours should take the DR8EA plugs, the first letter tells you the size of the thread of the plug and the 4 valve takes a smaller threaded plug.
                          Sorry yeah I ordered DR8ES
                          Currently have DR8EA
                          Haynes tells me DR8ES
                          Clymer says B8ES

Found main jet size in manual, 117.5 and 4th groove from top on jet needle, would main jet difference make me run too rich? and should the jet needle change because of that? Sorry this probably sounds dumb I assume Ill hear that I should just order 117.5s and leave the jet needle as it is?

Comment

Sorry yeah I ordered DR8ES
                            Currently have DR8EA
                            Haynes tells me DR8ES
                            Clymer says B8ES

Found main jet size in manual, 117.5 and 4th groove from top on jet needle, would main jet difference make me run too rich? and should the jet needle change because of that? Sorry this probably sounds dumb I assume Ill hear that I should just order 117.5s and leave the jet needle as it is?
                            The main jet might have been increased a step because of the air filter or something. I am wondering if the air filter is non-stock, like a UNI or K&N, which might require a larger main jet. One step in main size shouldnt make much difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X