gs 750 starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 750 starting issue

i have a 1978 or 1979 suzuki gs 750 i have gotten it to start, but its hard to start. runs awesome after it finally cranks.. my question is y would i have to cover the carbs and pretty much flood them to get it to crank and could havin the air box off cause this problem?

You're using the choke on a cold start and choke operating properly?
    I don't think you're helping matters with the airbox off.

Comment

yes its operating correctly and had all carbs cleaned and it has the 2 lines hooked on the petcock and had new oil filter installed and oil.. new spark plugs and points set and carbs tuned while ideling...

Comment

and air box tubes are hard on air box is the reason i didnt install the box

Comment

it also has a 4 into 1 header pipe no muffler.. not sure if that make a difference just tryin to mention everything

Comment

and would u try and use stock box or pod filters? im not sure wat size carbs are either

Comment

any suggestions plz

Comment

I suggest buying new airbox hoses, putting the airbox back on and making sure everything is sealed up well. Make sure the carb holders have new o-rings and are sealed well. Then, put a muffler back on the header before you burn the engine up from running it too lean. Are the carbs VM or CV?

Comment

These engines are VERY sensitive to even minuscule air leaks. Its very important to make sure each carb is tuned properly. For now, I would stay away from pod filters until you get this bike running perfectly with your airbox and 4 into 1 exhaust.

Comment

If you're not sure what carbs you have, take a couple pictures and post them. I'm sure this will help you get a little more response from some of the big time guys on the site. Provide all the details of your carb cleaning and rebuild and some of the guys will be able to tell you exactly what your next step should be

Comment

Originally posted by 79gs750 View Post
                      any suggestions plz
                      1. Use all the keys available on your keyboard.
                      2. Install the airbox. You can start the engine without it, but won't be able to get much more than idle speed.
                      3. Install a baffle. Besides destroying your own hearing, you are upsetting countless others with an open pipe. Oh, your engine will run better, too.
                      4. Knowing that the last two suggestions will probably fall on deaf ears (pun intended ) clean your carbs and install proper jets.
                      5. Adjust your valves. Hard starting, especially when cold, is usually due to tight valves.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How long has it been since you adjusted the valve clearances?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

first of all i just got this bike like 2 weeks ago... i took it to a guy that took carbs completely apart and clean everything in them and set everything.... imnot sure on the valves being reset... i dont know how or wqhen the last time it was done either... i have another question? i understand this bike has a prime on the gas tank for it to build up pressure to carbs right? there is 3 black lines off the back of the carbs and then the one directly in between carb 2 and 3 which is where the fuel supply line hooks up... what hooks to the other nipple on the petcock?

Comment

The one from the #3 carb is the vacuum line, it opens the petcock when the engine is running. The ones on #2 and #4 are float bowl vents, they need to stay open to the atmosphere.

Prime lets fuel flow into the carburetors when the engine isn't running. Don't leave it in prime very long.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

okay the guy i had workin on it hooked up wrong one.. will that make it hard to start? and the only way i get it to start is to flood it

Comment

Working...
                              X