jetted carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jetted carbs

Hi guys this is my first time posting on here.i had a question i have tried everything to get my carbs on my suzuki gs1100ez right i can turn the screws rich as hell our lean and on deceleration it pops and cracks really bad plus at idle it surges from 1100 to 1500 and if i turn up the idle slightly it goes up to 2 to 3000 and surges from there.i jetted the Mains to 138's and pilots to dj160.i have a inline fuel filter on it but I'm not sure if you can have it on these bikes because they are gravity fed i have spent alot of money on this bike and everyone wants me to sell it.but i don't want to give up and feel defeated i need help i check everything for vacuum leaks and there is none cylinder 1 is giving me the most problems tho keeps fouling the plugs like its to rich but i have the idle screw leaned out.any feed back would be great.thanks

Welcome aboard Andrew

not enough information in your post to help you as yet

Have you been lurking? Read thru the Megawelcome? Checked out BassCliff's site?

Go to the GS Owners forum, check out the sticky thread, read a lot and tell us how many of the Top 10 Newbie mistakes you've made

There's no shame there, this site is crammed full of info (so much that some people complain about it) just waiting to help you out

Your running lean, hard to say why as yet. What's your intake and exhaust? Did you put a jet kit in it? Change the intake boots? New O rings? Clean the carbs? adjust the valves?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

carb jetting

I have a new 4 into 1 Mac exhaust.new marxi racing air pods.i have a dynojet stage 3 jet kit in it.replaced all intake manifolds and clamps.what o rings are you talking about and i don't know how to adjust the valves. the carbs have been blown out with compressed air and carb cleaner.anything you can think of i pretty much replaced it.I'm just wondering if my inline fuel filter is not letting the carbs get enough gas cause are bikes are gravity fed.

Comment

"........the carbs have been blown out with compressed air and carb cleaner.anything you can think of i pretty much replaced it...."

You want to keep this bike? then you need to clean carbs properly or join a large mob at wit's end . go here

You've spent alot of money- checking valve clearances is a must and can be done cheaply and easily. Avoid it at your peril
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well, did you go over to the Megawelcome?

The Top 10 Newbie Mistakes?

You don't know how to do it?

It's all in there
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Where is the mega welcome and top ten mistakes is it on this website cause i can't find it.

Comment

Get some coffee-

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

1a and 1b and 3 are the only ones that i haven't done.

Comment

well, do those maintenance items, ditch the fuel filter and see what your results are

Nothing going on with your bike that hasn't happened to someone here before

You may find that the pods are a problem. Many members report that the cheap pods make the bike more difficult to tune. Do you still have the airbox? If you do, you might consider reinstalling it to confirm where your tuning problem are. If the bike runs well with the airbox, then you can switch back to the pods

Where'd that pod thread go that someone made up last year to illustrate his troubles?

Last edited by Big T; 04-09-2014, 01:43 PM.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

OK, you got some work to do. Lots of tiny idle circuit passages in these carbs that get clogged and resist blowing out until crap is dissolved by stripping and dipping. If idle circuits ain't clear, you will fiddle with other stuff (idle mixture screws) to compensate, but this causes other problems like the stuff you described in start of this thread. Then add the pods to this and you got more fun. (Why #1 is running rich is another issue.) Best to clean carbs properly and then sort out the pods and dj stuff. You have to be methodical or you will get frustrated.

1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                    X