Float needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float needles

I am curious if the float needles are often faulty on the GS550E. I tried to get some from my dealer and he gave me the wrong ones. Mine are pushed into the carb with an O ring and they have a small fuel filter on the side that goes into the carb.
    Who knows a place that sell these complete as the genuine ones are very expensive.
    The fuel filter seems to be tight and I didn't remove it as I was worried it would break.

The most common problem is the float needle springs get weak with age and won't hold up the float anymore. You can replace the needles themselves as necessary (K&L make decent aftermarket parts), or get a complete K&L assembly. Places like Z1 Enterprises in the US sell such parts. While it's not ideal to replace just the needle, it should be fine. If in doubt check the fuel level in the bowl, not just the float height.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

we sell hundreds of these every year. Got them in stock right now.

K&L is the place for everything inside of any GS carb.

PM me and I'll get them for you complete seat/needle sets, Mixture o rings, bare needles, seat orings .. pilot jet plugs bowl gaskets etc...
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I have just seen that K & L sell this part but it is very expensive.
        I have seen that Z1 sells the part too. But again without the tiny filter that is attached to it.

How does it come off without wrecking it? Z1 price is 12,40 USD but K & L price 44USD. If I can just get this filter to come off I will order them from Z1
        Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I was lucky enough to bag 4 oem sets off ebay the guy had advertised them as GSX1100 main jets but I googled the part number on the packaging ended up getting 4 for less than ten euro's

Comment

I've used this place for carb parts:

They sell the K&L kits of various configurations ranging from just the needle to complete rebuild kits (not usually needed). So far I've used them in two bikes with zero issues. The stock ones on my 850GL started to leak right after a rebuild and the ones on the 1000G were just shot.

None of the aftermarket kits come with that external screen, but they do have a screen inside that's only visible when you look down the pipe. Don't worry about needing that screen unless your petcock screen is damaged and you have a rusty tank.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I just get an e mail from my dealer that he has ordered the right ones now but without the filter. But I might fit an inline filter anyway . So with a bit of luck I will ride this bike before summer starts. I can't wait to get this thing on the road again. So now I just have to order an oil seal for my cam tensioner and some Hagon's and put the carbs together and have the stand powdercoated. We are getting closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ton1959 View Post
                I just get an e mail from my dealer that he has ordered the right ones now but without the filter. But I might fit an inline filter anyway . So with a bit of luck I will ride this bike before summer starts. I can't wait to get this thing on the road again. So now I just have to order an oil seal for my cam tensioner and some Hagon's and put the carbs together and have the stand powdercoated. We are getting closer.
                you can buy the oem filters from here

Comment

You can't fix carbs for ten bucks.
                  Trippivot offered you the parts you need at a good price.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    You can't fix carbs for ten bucks.
                    Trippivot offered you the parts you need at a good price.

Time will tell. 38 Euro now for 4 float needle assembly's. We all have to make choices sometimes. If I was wrong you will be the first to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                      you can buy the oem filters from here
                      http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550-19...er_1337644080/

Thank you Paul for the info.

Comment

Working...
                      X