Intake boot o-rings, carb kit, 79 gs425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boot o-rings, carb kit, 79 gs425

I've been doing a lot of reading at Cliff's and I noticed that when rebuilding the carburetors, it's a good idea to replace the intake boot o-rings as well. Can't use a regular o-ring as it'll melt. Instead, use viton o-rings. For my 1979 GS425, this size is a 40mm ... unavailable from Cliff. I've looked into purchasing them elsewhere but they are of varying o-ring thicknesses and I'm not sure what to get.

Also ... anyone know where to find a carb rebuild kit for what I think is the BS34SS style carb? I want all the pieces ready before I tear this thing down.

ALSO, does anyone on the boards have a solid spot to buy the old air filters? Pretty sure mine is shot but I won't know until I take the carbs off.

Thanks for the continuing help .... continuing my build.

Tom
    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM.

I carry the carb O-ring kit and the intake O-rings. Select the kit for the 80-82 450. Same creatures.

I don't have an option for purchasing a pair of the 40mm intakes, but a set of 4 is less than 4 bucks.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
      I carry the carb O-ring kit and the intake O-rings. Select the kit for the 80-82 450. Same creatures.

I don't have an option for purchasing a pair of the 40mm intakes, but a set of 4 is less than 4 bucks.
      Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need the gaskets as well..was hoping for an all inclusive kit, perhaps even new jets. Any suggestions?

Comment

The suggestion is going to be that your jets are good and don't need replacing they only need cleaning. The float valve may need replacing, and OEM is best. Mainly, the carbs need to be soaked and cleaned, and reasembled. Buy gaskets if you need them, but stay away from aftermarket rebuild kits.

That said, I've used them without grief, but don't think that I will again.

Z1 Enterprises is good to work with, and they sell this stuff.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thank you. I'll open them up and check back.

Comment

Additionally, I've read Cliff's welcome and believe I have CV carbs on my 79. I found the float bowl gasket, but is there another gasket I should be replacing as well?

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry to triple post, but I got those carbs open. The bowl gasket doesn't look terrible and I think I can reuse it. I pulled 3 jets from each carb body. Does this sound correct to everyone? Also, the hard rubber around the throttle mechanism ... can I put that in carb cleaner, or do I have to completely disassemble? The floats were dirty, and looked rusty, but I put them in the carb cleaner and they are floating pretty well. No issues. Is it alright to reuse them?

THANK YOU.

Comment

The carb cleaning guides on BassCliff's site should have answers to all of these questions:

Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Don't know how I haven't seen that before. I've checked Z1, bikebandit, etc ... the cheapest price I can find per float for the carbs is ~$25. Does this sound right? Checked my carb cleaner today and found the floats had a bit of liquid in them

Comment

The floats shouldn't go in carb cleaner. Nothing plastic/rubber should go into carb cleaner...

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                      The floats shouldn't go in carb cleaner. Nothing plastic/rubber should go into carb cleaner...
                      Maybe they were aftermarket (PO), but mine were not plastic or rubber. They were metal.

Comment

Just replaced the viton orings on the intake boot to the cylinder... I noticed a gasket right against the cylinder though that I haven't bought a replacement for. They're thin but not torn. Should I replace them too?
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2014, 04:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by gspower View Post
                          Just replaced the viton orings on the intake boot to the cylinder... I noticed a gasket right against the cylinder though that I haven't bought a replacement for. They're thin but not torn. Should I replace them too?
                          Probably. Look here. It'll show your entire intake assembly. Yours uses a 'sandwich' design, like a lot of early '80's Hondas used. The idea is to insulate the carbs from the heat of the cylinder head.

They show as available. P/N 13125-44001.
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Purchased the replacements, just in case. Also picked up some spare screws that I might need when I reinstall the air box. Thanks for the advice. Private PM sent.
                            Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                            Probably. Look here. It'll show your entire intake assembly. Yours uses a 'sandwich' design, like a lot of early '80's Hondas used. The idea is to insulate the carbs from the heat of the cylinder head.

They show as available. P/N 13125-44001.

Comment

Working...
                            X