Priming carbs, spinning starter and won't shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post

Quick check: You should be able to blow air through the fuel line inlet with the carbs upright and not be able to blow any air through the fuel line with the carbs inverted.

Post pics if you question what is wrong.
    Great advise. I tried blowing into the fuel line with them mounted to no avail. I will dismount them probably Thursday and see what I can find.

Comment

Anyone have any ideas about the shifting issue? Even with the rear wheel in motion the shifter is basically locked in place. I tried adjusting the clutch release based on the service manual over lunch and it is still stuck. I never touched the clutch, just removed and reinstalled the cable, clutch release, and drive sprocket to get the chain off during the tear down.

Comment

remove the cover from the front sprocket, see if the shifter shaft frees up then. sometimes corrosion in the cover or dirt can cause the shaft to become very stiff
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          remove the cover from the front sprocket, see if the shifter shaft frees up then. sometimes corrosion in the cover or dirt can cause the shaft to become very stiff
          Also, if the cover doesn't go on dead straight it will bind with the shaft and lock it up.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
          X