Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning my first set of Carbs (GS1000GL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning my first set of Carbs (GS1000GL)

I need tp clean thr carbs on my new to me bike. Im nervous as all hell. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but still worried that I will wreck something. Ive read the guides and downloaded several yo guide me through the process. But I still cant shake thid feeling...

Any tips thst you guys have found thst matbr arent in the guides? I will be replacing o-rings as well.
    How long should I dunk each carb? 1hr enough or should I leave them overnight?
    Can I use PB Buster on th3 screws that are a PITA?

Thanks!

The carb rebuild tutorial is linked in my signature. Read it before beginning. Key thing is to make sure you have screwdrivers that properly fit the pilot screw and pilot jet (those are the two type that are most often stripped). Worst case, you learn what not to do. Everything is easily fixable and you only make a MISTAKE if you mess up TWICE.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks! Your sig was the thing that helped me alot! Realized that this was the site to be.

Comment

If I can make one suggestion that may take some of your concern away, make that two:

1) Follow Nessism's tutorial, it is spot on.

2) Leave carb # 4 assembled, until you put carb #1 and #2 back together. It's a great reference to have.

Comment

Keep parts organized! Use zip-lock baggies or whatever. Take pictures as you disassemble. Be gentle (I've broken float pins and had to ship them off to get laser-welded back on). Use the right tools. Rotate the carbs around and listen for the floats moving after you put the bowls back on (to make sure they're not stuck on something)

Comment

Lay everything out from one carb is order how you took it out. Definitely works great as a reference and print out a exploded view your an individual carb. You don't want to "think" you have it all together and piece accidentally rolled away. I usually lay everything out on a towel.

Comment

i just did my set of carbs, and it was the first i've ever done. believe me, i read the tutorials so many times, and they are like scripture. follow the advice above. only thing i can add is to take your time, and keep things organized.

Comment

Stay Organized..!

When I do a set of carbs I like to stay as organized as possible.
                I went to the grocery store and bought some aluminum pans -- cheap and in different sizes. Small pans and larger pans ..Spent less than $10 - and I've used them several times already.

I put them IN ORDER as I tear down carbs and place the parts into them - small parts in the small pans, and big in ...you get it...

What you do not see is the Ultrasonic cleaner and the various other cleaning tools - like picks and brushes..here is the start of a tear down...

I DO NOT put the carb bodies into the carb dip..it MAY discolor the aluminum ...so I use the dip for internal carb parts, brass parts, etc. and the Ultrasonic for bowls, and bodies and carb tops. My carbs clean up pretty well in Simple Green /Water solution ..about a 1-4 mix and time in the sonic cleaner....

These are the 650 carbs I did last year ...

This is what the jets looked like before the cleaning ..
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                X