Wow....What a Difference 1/4 Turn on the Pilot Air Screw Makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow....What a Difference 1/4 Turn on the Pilot Air Screw Makes

I've only had my '79 GS 750E for a couple of months, and it's been showing plenty of signs of running lean, including lots of backfiring on startup, slow to warm up, and sputtering in the 3100-3400 rpm range. I made a 1/4 turn clockwise adjustment to pilot air screw, and the vast majority of those issues are cured! Running like a champ now. It's so much nicer to ride when the bike's running well....
    '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
    '73 CB350 - 1st ride
    '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
    '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Originally posted by knotscott View Post
    I've only had my '79 GS 750E for a couple of months, and it's been showing plenty of signs of running lean, including lots of backfiring on startup, slow to warm up, and sputtering in the 3100-3400 rpm range. I made a 1/4 turn clockwise adjustment to pilot air screw, and the vast majority of those issues are cured! Running like a champ now. It's so much nicer to ride when the bike's running well....
    You should try riding it when it's running perfectly. Keep going, it's in there someplace.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by knotscott View Post
      I presume you made a 1/4 turn to each of the four carbs? I also have a new (to me) 78 GS750E and, until I can afford to adjust the valves and rebuild the carbs I might give this a try. Please advise, thanks.

Comment

Cost just the price of a gasket to check the valves..and a day or two for Ray at the shim club to see if he has what you need for the tighter ones. Cost many hundreds if you burn up a valve or seat...plus the down time. I would advice you dont procrastinate on at least this bit of maintenance.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

trying to figure these things out . . . beginner I am
          I was under the impression that the adjustment screw is actually a fuel screw, not an air screw, so 1/4 turn CLOCKWISE would be reducing the fuel, which seems to be opposite of what you would want if you were runnin lean?

Comment

There is a fuel screw and an air screw. Which one did you turn?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              There is a fuel screw and an air screw. Which one did you turn?
              And what bike are you running....
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by rippledub@gmail.com View Post
                trying to figure these things out . . . beginner I am
                I was under the impression that the adjustment screw is actually a fuel screw, not an air screw, so 1/4 turn CLOCKWISE would be reducing the fuel, which seems to be opposite of what you would want if you were runnin lean?
                That depends on what carbs you have.

On the VM series carbs ('79 and older fours), you have a fuel screw and an air screw. Counter-clockwise on either one will add more of what it controls. Clockwise on either one will reduce what it controls.

On the BS series carbs (all twins and '80 and newer fours), there is only a mixture adjustment screw. Counter-clockwise on that also adds more of what it controls, which happens to richen the overall pilot mixture.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

He said '79 750.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    He said '79 750.
                    Knotscott said he had a '79 750.

It was rippledub that asked about the function of the screw.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Ok, sorry I may have created some confusion due to my inexperience.

I have a 1980 gs1000g which most likely has a different carb, so my comment may be off base. I was referring to a note in John Bloemers carb rebuild turorial in which he writes:

Note #2: Bill Kingston (wkings41@pop.infi -net.mindspring.com) has brought it to our attention that the references to a Pilot Air Screw may be incorrect. He states that on these carbs use a Fuel Flow Screw instead. This means that you are controlling fuel running through the passages with this adjustment, not air. So when turning the screw counterclockwise you are increasing fuel flow and when you turn it clockwise you decrease fuel flow.

Comment

O k

Comment

Yes, you have the BS series carbs (also called "CV-type" carbs). The only adjustment on them is a mixture screw. It controls how much of a pre-set mixture is admitted to the air stream at low throttle openings, so counter-clockwise will richen the overall mixture, clockwise will lean it.

Note that the factory settings were made with EPA emissions compliance in mind, not overall ridability, so they were set lean. This also made for long warm-up times. It it a simple matter to richen the mix a little to make the bike (and you) much happier. The stock settings were probably in the 1 1/2 turn range, most of us find that 2 to 2 1/2 (sometimes a bit more) works much better.

Of course, this assumes that your carbs are CLEAN, synchronized and working well.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by gbrown View Post
                            I presume you made a 1/4 turn to each of the four carbs? I also have a new (to me) 78 GS750E and, until I can afford to adjust the valves and rebuild the carbs I might give this a try. Please advise, thanks.
                            Sorry I didn't notice this sooner, but yes, each carb got the same 1/4 turn clockwise adjustment to the air screw.
                            '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
                            '73 CB350 - 1st ride
                            '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
                            '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Comment

Working...
                            X