two different gs550es questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two different gs550es questions

1. The warmer temps have brought to light an issue with the bike. It seems like it has an off idle stumble. Also, when i come to a stop off the highway, it acts like it is trying to flood. Not when you stab the brakes, but when you come to a full stop. Idle screw set too low?

2. I swear the choke on this bike is for looks. I went to cold start it when it was about 85*f and the choke refused to catch.

Other than that, it is a flipping hoot to ride.

The secret lies not in your choke but in your many orifices.
    Clean them carbs and check your intake manifold pipe o-rings

Comment

It runs fantastic once it holds an idle. The carbs were rebuilt by the previous owner, and i trust him. I will dig into the o rings as i hear they are perpetually an issue.

And you leave my many orafi out if this

Comment

orificia I should think

Comment

How long are you letting this warm up mine takes at least 5 mins of runtime even in warm weather.

Comment

Kansans don't know latin.

While we're talking wacky siamese bore mikunis, i have a spare set, how hard are they to correctly rebuild? I would love to set them up for maybe a k&n and some emgo dunstall replicas.

Comment

The carbs are really quite simple. They are effectively two carbs in one body.
              All the bits are readily removable. There are dynojet kits for the bike as well as a OEM airbox fitting K&N filter.

I have been thinking of doing the stage 1 kit for a while now.

Your US sec bike has smaller mains thanks to the EPA. I think they are one size smaller.

Comment

In 85F weather it should start instantaneously with no choke at all. Clean and adjust your carburetors.

If it's hard to start adjust your valves. If it's not hard to start do it anyway. They need it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Valves were completely adjusted literally 100 miles ago.

I am probably going to clean the carbs though. It just runs so damned nice once warm though....minus the off idle hesitation.

the bike did sit for a while before i bought it though.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    How long are you letting this warm up mine takes at least 5 mins of runtime even in warm weather.
                    5-10 minutes as they are horribly cold blooded. The issue arises when i try to keep it running since the choke refuses to catch, then think it does and i walk away...then it dies and acts like its flooded. Then it has to sit with the air filter off to air out. THEN it fires right up.

Vindictive contraption.

Comment

So i took it out for a ride today and as usual, hard to start. I rode to a friends house to fix her mower and upon returning to the bike, it flat refused to start. It went so far as to crank like normal, then act like it was locking up, then cranking fine again. I poked around and it started cranking again.

On a whim i shot it with starter fluid and it fired right up.

What am i missing here? It continued to have a bit of a stumble on the way home, but that cleared up too. AND once home, i had the courage to shut it off and lo and behold it fired right up. Three different times. Crap getting dislodged in the carbs? I noticed it had an inline clear filter, perhaps thats an issue?

I want to start riding it to my office, trucks and mustangs are greedy gas pigs and its too nice to be in a car. Buuuut i just don't the bike yet.

Comment

Remove the inline filter

Comment

My 650 had an inline fuel filter when i purchased it and it was a pain !! Seamed to restrict the gas flow to much !! Once I removed it the bike started and ran 100º/○ better ..

Comment

There's already a filter in the petcock and a filter in the carb bowls themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooptie View Post
                              1. The warmer temps have brought to light an issue with the bike. It seems like it has an off idle stumble. Also, when i come to a stop off the highway, it acts like it is trying to flood. Not when you stab the brakes, but when you come to a full stop. Idle screw set too low?

2. I swear the choke on this bike is for looks. I went to cold start it when it was about 85*f and the choke refused to catch.

Other than that, it is a flipping hoot to ride.
                              You know, the almost dying and hot start issues sounds like electrical/intermittent electrical issue. On it's own makes some sense, but that you can give it a shot of starter fluid and it runs again points to something in carburetion.

I might trust a PO, but I wouldn't necessarily trust a carb "rebuild" as being perfect. The off-idle stumble might also be addressed by shimming the needle.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X