Quick GS1000G exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick GS1000G exhaust question

I am new here, and I just bought an 80' GS1000G! My question is, is possible to take off the back part of the exhaust mufflers and run the bike without the muffler? I want a louder more aggressive sound, but will this be simply stupid loud or will it hurt performance at all? Thanks guys!

(Oh and I think the long funnel shape exhaust are a little silly looking also)

Buy a good muffler, whatever style you want. Sell the stock one for the big bucks. No muffler makes them run like crap, makes them sound like ****, and makes everyone hate us all.

That 1000G is a nice bike, don't dick it up. Find an L to dick up, they like that.

And welcome to the forum.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by motokid837 View Post
      I am new here, and I just bought an 80' GS1000G! My question is,
      1. is possible to take off the back part of the exhaust mufflers and run the bike without the muffler?
      2. I want a louder more aggressive sound,
      3. but will this be simply stupid loud or
      4. will it hurt performance at all? Thanks guys!

5. (Oh and I think the long funnel shape exhaust are a little silly looking also)
      1. You can take it off, but it will require a saw or a torch.
      2. It WILL be louder.
      3. Not just "stupid loud", it will sound like CRAP.
      4. It will only hurt performance until it kills your engine.
      5. There are PLENTY of us here that would love to have a stock system that is in good shape. If your exhaust system is in decent shape, please consider selling it and cutting on something that is already trashed.
      6. (A freebie) Please re-consider the louder bike. Motorcyclists are already thought poorly of due to excessive noise, there is no need to add to those feelings.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Loud pipes save idiots who can't ride.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks guys, believe it or not I bought the bike for 50$ from a friend who had it in a shed on its side, and within two days I've had the motor starting to turn over. Anyway, money is tight as I am a pretty young, so maybe in the future I will look into something aftermarket, I won't be chopping any factory exhaust

Comment

make it run first chop it up later if you must if it doesn't work, you can get it to work. that is like turning nothing into something. if you just start cutting it up instead, you will more than likely changing nothing into never will be anything. they are super comfortable and have more than adequate power with reasonable handling. lots of potential in a 1000G.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
            X