float needles weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float needles weak

I'm adjusting the float height on a set of BS34SS carbs and found that I need to adjust the tab more then expected. I then noticed that the spring loaded pin is compressing more then expected when the weight of the float is applied. I'm thinking of just replacing the float needle valves (not the seats) but would like some feedback on if I should change them as a pair or not? Don't want to spend the $$$ twice.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Bump. Anyone?

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I believe they will come as a set
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Personally, I'd replace everything in pairs/quads. You don't want something fishy going on later and have to take the other carb all apart again.

Comment

As a pair.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks guys.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'd try needles first. Z1 sells them. You can check effectiveness by measuring fuel level, not just float height. If you use a full tank with the petcock set to prime, it will stress the system and try to force the fuel past the needles. If the needles seal in that situation, you should be good to go.
              Last edited by Nessism; 05-13-2014, 08:36 AM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Right now, each carb has been tested with a full column of fuel and the float level is correct with no leakage. The only reason I'm thinking of changing the valves out is because I noticed the tabs had to be bent over more then usual to get the correct float height of 22.4mm. When I looked more into it I also noticed that the weight of the floats was compressing the spring tip on the float valve needle and causing the adjustment to be more severe then expected.

I'm going to start the engine with the carbs set the way they are for now but was asking this for future reference. I'm getting my spare GS1000G motor fired up in order to verify it's in good working order before I pull it from the Frankenstein bike's frame. After that it will be a full top end rebuild in order to freshen it up for the transplant into the pretty GS1000G.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                X